YOUR CAMPFIRE

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by McCampers, Oct 30, 2018.

1. kgesiako

kgesiako Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    I discovered the best way to combat a Smokey fire is the rabbit rabbit rabbit method. Just learned that this year and am amazed at how well it works!!!!

2. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    When there isn't a burn ban, we'll do a fire probably once per trip, on average. Our fires are not that large, so any smoke isn't really going to affect our neighbors.

Our fire is put out completely before we leave it for the night. Considering the devastation caused by wildfires in this part of the world, I can't imagine not wanting to make sure that a fire is completely extinguished before leaving the pit unattended.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Someone taught my boys this a couple years ago and now they won't shut up with it every time we have a fire. I want to strangle that person lol.

kgesiako likes this.
  4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    What is the rabbit rabbit rabbit method?

5. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    When the smoke comes toward you, you say out loud "rabbits, rabbits, rabbits" and the smoke will blow in a different direction. In my Boy Scout troop, the saying was "I love rabbits." It was just as effective.

Orchid likes this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Around here it's "I hate white rabbits"... some seem to think it works....

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    tenor.gif

BelchFire, Orchid, jnc and 1 other person like this.
  8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I wonder what would happen if you substituted Rabbit with chipmunks?

9. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I'm quite certain you can substitute for anything you like and it will work equally as well ;)

Orchid, eoleson1 and kcsa75 like this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Yeah, the one taught to my boys was "white rabbit, white rabbit, white rabbit..." They now do it non-stop when we have a fire with any smoke at all, and then get frustrated when it doesn't work.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. eoleson1

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    "braless women, braless women, braless women....."?

Sorry. Couldn't help myself!

kgesiako, BillyMc, Orchid and 5 others like this.
  12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Y8ht.gif

Toedtoes likes this.
  13. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Dang! May need to try that one! ;)

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Say that and the smoke will shift just long enough for you to see the frying pan coming at your face[LOL]

kgesiako, Katskamper, Orchid and 3 others like this.
  15. eoleson1

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Ain't that the truth!!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. McCampers

McCampers Member

Oct 16, 2016
    At least I now know when I see an abnormally smoky campfire with someone beside it saying brawless or rabbit all is well. Learn so much from this site.

Katskamper, Orchid and kcsa75 like this.
  17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    As Iong as they dont say braless rabbit, that would be really weird [:D]

Orchid, kcsa75 and eoleson1 like this.
  18. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Boulder, Colorado
    We have had several experiences with campground purchased firewood that was packaged in plastic, then stored in a locking crib. Wrapping went around the bundle, with the ends open. Wood was stacked on end in the crib. The plastic kept the wood in a nice tidy bundle, but kept it from drying out after a rain!

All of our trips so far have been in Rocky Mountains. The pest to worry about is ips pini, known logically enough as the pine beetle. Major predator on lodgepole pine, less so on ponderosa.

I now buy cut up lodgepole locally, let it sit for a year to eliminate the beetle problem, and take it with us.

Any fire should be out, dead out unless you are right there to attend to it. For us that means cold dead out, as in wet down well, stirred thoroughly and tested with a naked hand. From my home I can see the six year old fire scar from a careless camper- over a hundred families lost their homes to that one.

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Did I mention how much I love our new propane fire pit? :wink:

As a life long camper with only memories of wood fires, and a serious aversion to change, I thought I would have a hard time adjusting. I was so wrong! I loved this thing from the first night we used it. Wish I would have invested in one years ago.

No smoke, no wood, no sparks or pops, and a perfect fire at the turn of a knob. You can turn it off while you go to the bathhouse, and back on when you come back. That's a trick you can't do with a wood fire. :smiley:

20. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    After several years of burn bans, and camping in NP backcountry sites that didn't allow ground fires, I broke down and bought a Little Red Campfire. But we had gotten so used to not having a fire that we rarely use it.