“Friendly” raccoons, need a deterrent

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by hmhheather, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree with your first sentence. I'm curious about your second. I'm not trying to be rude or smart ass, but things don't always come off right in the written word, so putting in that disclaimer. What should the rangers be doing about it?

Once again, that is a serious question, not a sarcastic one. It's the campers who cause the problem. I suppose they could patrol more and fine people if caught feeding wildlife. Once the problem has begun, other than kill off the problem animals, I can't imagine what could be done. :(

At one state park near us, there is a problem with deer being too friendly. I mean ridiculously so. They push kids off bikes and follow people around. The last time we were there (not going back) they did have an undercover female ranger scouting the park for people feeding them. She caught one lady with a basket of apples.

tenttrailer likes this.
  2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Wasp and hornet spray will do the same, it comes in higher volume than pepper spray, has more range and won't arouse suspicion until you use it.

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Please don't. The raccoons are being raccoons as they've been taught from campers. Wasp/hornet spray can permanently maim the raccoons. That can create a bigger problem.

If you need to use something that will permanently injure wildlife, then you need to change campgrounds. It's their property.

4. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

If habituated animals are causing problems in the campground, they should be trapped and dealt with. In addition, the campground needs to go to a no food out just like they do for bears, and tag folks who violate. Racoons are usually rabid, so if they are a big problem, you don't ignore it.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

If you can find it, there's a documentary on Toronto, Canada called "Raccoon Nation" that is enlightening.

6. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I'm not certain what you mean by "dealt with"? Are you suggesting killing them? I can't think of a place they could relocate them to. Usually it's the opposite, people relocate problem animals to a state park.

Could you imagine the complaints when the Rangers have nothing better to do than harass campers for eating snacks around their campsite?

7. Toedtoes

No food out rules just means that you don't leave food outside when you aren't eating. You are still allowed to eat. But all food is stored in a vehicle or bear box.

Out here, problem animals get relocated to deeper wilderness (usually federal forest lands) miles away from campgrounds. In eastern states, you don't have that space to work with.

As for rabies and raccoons, most raccoons are NOT rabid. But raccoons are the second most likely wild animal to get rabies (bats are first and skunks are third). Of tested raccoons, 29.4% had rabies. But that is not reliable for the entire population as the testing was not done randomly.

Rabies is definitely a concern when dealing with raccoons, but it's not a case of "if you see a raccoon it's probably rabid".

8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Once they have lost their fear of humans there is little that can be done short of euthanizing them. When I lived on the farm it was easy to get rid of them, I knew a few people the ate coon. There are temporary measures you can use, but they will keep coming back. If they breed they will raise their young that humans are meal ticket as well. I can see this becoming a dead campground if the problem isn't resolved. A wrist rocket with some biodegradable clay ammo can be effective at making them keep their distance, but aim for their thigh or rear end because you can take out an eye with them. I don't recommend the steel or glass shot as they can be lethal.

Spartacus and tzmartin like this.
  9. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

We do primitive camping at Cumberland Island National Seashore and wildlife there is left alone for the most part. The horses pretty much keep to themselves but raccoons are all over the place at night. We camp there often and know to keep things locked up tight. Even then, a coon will get into the stove and lick up some grease.

I'll never forget the rustic wedding that a big hippie/granola family had at a group site. I believe they roasted a pig all night and day for the ceremony. The whole island smelled great! But we knew that that big group was not going to get any sleep that night. I think every raccoon on the island came for the afterparty--literally all night long! It was a mess!

Incidentally, wild pigs are a problem there as well and their population is managed by a hunt each year. Wonder if that would help with the raccoons.

southern gal and Orchid like this.
  10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

They live outside in the rain. I don't think water will phase them. They are not cats, and water doesn't work on some cats.

11. Toedtoes

It's not the water that does it. It's the sudden hitting them with the water. Basically you are using the squirt of water to take their attention off what they are focused on.

southern gal likes this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You probably already know this, but JFK Jr got married over there.

Funny thing, I never camped with hook ups in my entire life until moving to FL 14 years ago. Now I'm too spoiled to primitive camp. If I was going to break out the tent for anyplace, it would be Cumberland Island. I do love it there.

southern gal, tzmartin and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Best way is do not feed them or leave anything out for them. My favorite canoe camp spot has an old coon that comes thru my camp, I have watched him and he rattles the dishes etc. and finds no food he moves on. They seem to have a route they follow for handouts or food left out.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Last year at Hillsbough River SP we had a young raccoon visit our site. We had eaten dinner and the kids were washed and DW was putting them to bed. I was cleaning and putting stuff away when DW screamed and said there is something trying to get in the camper. I ran into the screen room. It wasn't trying to get in the camper. It was under the camper reaching under the skirt trying to pull the bag of trash I had bagged up for the dump under the camper. I got after it with a roasting stick and bashed my head into one of the bunkends in the process. It must have gotten the not welcome vibe because it didn't come back the rest of the week. I thought it was back the next night, but it turned out to be an armadillo digging in the brush.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

feed stores carry predator pee.
    mountain lion is what i use.
    & i have a dog.

southern gal likes this.
  16. P2N

P2N New Member

We’ve never had a problem with raccoons. But we also always bring our two small dogs Who pee around the campsite the moment we get there. Could that be the difference? We never leave food outside the camper but I do store food inside the camper. And I empty the trash every night before we go to bed. Which campground in Michigan? We Camp along Lake Michigan every year.

eoleson1 likes this.
  17. JoJo77

JoJo77 Member

Which campground is this? I like to camp at lake Michigan and would like to know which one I need to be careful at.

eoleson1 likes this.
  18. FzzyFyl

FzzyFyl Visually Impaired Camper

Where do these numbers come from? You should know not to throw statistics at people without citing your source. For all we know you could have pulled those numbers out of your backside.

19. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Here it is:
    Raccoon Nation

20. oSherryo

oSherryo New Member

Here's my experiences with Raccoons. The smartest I've ever encountered are in Montana De Oro SB in San Luis Obispo. Been there many times. They have stolen a Kindle off a camp group members car. Another had her kitchen tent broke in to. I mean they unzipped the tent and riffled thru the food. Even opened a cooler bag zipper and stole her cookies she made. The next evening I told her to put the zippers to the top. They came back, but couldn't reach the zippers. Then, same night, a raccoon actually opened a pop up trailer door to find food. The Dad said he woke up, but his wife and kids were on the opposite side of pup so he didn't make a move. It ate what he could find and left. Note to self...lock the door, lol In Washington at Salt Creek CG I saw 2 raccoons trying to push a small cooler off the table while one on the ground giving encouragement. My friends scared them away, lol Another raccoon actually took a piece of toast off the stove while toasting. My friend chased it, but the raccoon and toast were gone. They are smart cookies!! :)

21. Mitchell Porter

Mitchell Porter New Member

No need to injure a defenseless animal. Go to the dollar store, but so.e moth balls, grind them up and sprinkle around your campsite. Reapply every couple of days. Animals don't like the smell.