1/4 power plug to 'standard' cigarette lighter adapters.. sources?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by planac, Aug 12, 2009.

1. planac

planac New Member

Hey all-

I'm looking for a source of pre-made adapters that will allow me to plug in low-amperage 12V DC accessories to the 1/4 plugs found on a lot of PUPs (I thought it was just my Coleman, but thanks to you guys, I'm now discovering that it's not uncommon on other makers, either). I've made a couple myself, but this seems like it should be an easy thing to order someplace. I'm not looking to plug in a coffee pot- more like cell phone/PDA/handheld game chargers when we're boondocking or just can't get a site with an AC power hookup. My PUP will convert 110 to 12V for lights and other accessories- but not 12V (battery) to 110 (and I'm not sure I'd want it to, I'd prefer to keep my battery working all night!)

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. He Ruide

He Ruide New Member

Planac<

While using the mono phone plugs is common among PUPs the main use is for audio equipment and not DC current. Hence the only appliances that use this plug for DC current are the fans and lights for PUP bunkends and slide outs - hence there isn't a big market.

On the other hand it is more common to have chargers, inverters, FM modulators and other appliances using the cigarette lighter outlet in cars.

Hence I doubt you will find any pre-made mono plug to female cigarette lighter adapter - at least I've not seen any. So I'd suggest you continue making your own adapter and for those items that you want to plug into the 12 volt outlet you add your own monoplug and by pass the adapter. For example, this is what I did with my multimeter.

Hope this helps.

Ruide

3. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

You should add one or two 12v outlets, like this one from Radio Shack..
    [​IMG]

Best thing I ever put into the pup, and first thing I did to the Starcraft I upgraded to recently.

Also check out this thread with pics of the install:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=12977.0

4. planac

planac New Member

I actually already have one 12V 'lighter socket' outlet on the PUP (although it seems to be dead in all circumstances, which means I'm gonna have to chase it down- it seems like the socket itself is a little cheap, and is likely the cause of the failure). The real reason for these is that the 1/4 inch 'outlets' are much more conveniently located than anyplace I could sink additional outlets, and using a simple adapter just makes life a lot easier.

I'd be willing to make a few for others if they're interested, seeing as no one seems to have a ready supply.

5. my3kids

my3kids New Member

If you don't mind making them I'd like to buy 2. Thank you. I would just use them to plug the 1/4 end to the ceiling over the dinette and let the 12V lighter socket end just dangle. We would then plug in a portable DVD player and the kids would be way happy.

I carry a second deep cycle battery with me so potentially running down the battery while watching DVDs, etc. isn't really a problem for us.

Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
    07 Fleetwood Saratoga
    08 Nissan Armada