1 Lb. Propane tanks.

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by tombiasi, Sep 8, 2021.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Anyone check the price on those lately

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Nope....I refill them at home. The campground dumpsters are an endless supply of good once used canisters.

NLB, JAM21, PopUpSteve and 2 others like this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I don't usually check the price because when I need them, I need them. So price does has no bearing on my purchasing decision. I haven't bought them since I got a 4-pack last spring. Have they gone up in price?

4. tombiasi

I used to pay $2.75 each now $9.00.

5. Phil O'Regan

Phil O'Regan New Member

I just started refilling mine too, using an adapter and a 20 lb tank. I weighed them empty and wrote the empty weight on each tank. When I refill them, I put them in the freezer first. I don't mess with the relief valve like some YouTube videos suggest. I get about 14 oz into them if I recall correctly.

MNTCamper and xxxapache like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

My friend in pa said propane for the home heating doubbled in price this year. I have like 6 or so 1 lbers, but i been taking the 20 lb along for the last 2 years. The small bottles are emergency only, and I only take them on the longer trips.

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Sounds like some price gouging going on. I can still get a 4-pack for under $14.59 here at my local Fleet Farm. Are you close to the Ida flooding??

Susan Premo likes this.
  8. davido

davido Well-Known Member

No. I haven't checked recently.

I use refillable 20 pound cylinders and an adapter.

I drive a whole tow vehicle, and pull a whole popup trailer. There's room for a refillable 20 pound cylinder somewhere on that rig. There are plenty of options to bring a refillable. I just use a milk crate and toss it in the back. Here are options I see:
    • 20 pound standard cylinders can be carried in a milk crate.
    • 20 pound standard cylinders can be put on the tongue if you convert from a single-tank tray to a dual-tank tray.
    • 5 pound cylinders take up almost no space at all, though they're expensive.
    • 1 pound refillable cylinders are available at walmart.

9. tombiasi

You said you haven't checked the price. There haven't been deliveries from China.

10. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

I just bought 2 2 packs at Wally World, it was under 8 dollars for the 2 pack ($7.88? $7.98?). Local Ace has single bottles for $7.95 each. Wally World usually blows out 4 packs for around 8 bucks in late Sept/early Oct as the demand decreases.

11. RCmom

RCmom Active Member

I very recently purchased a single canister at a Walmart near you (ledgewood) for $3.97. Where did you find the $9 price?

12. Sjm9911

6.98 at lowes in nj, on the website. I think it may be when the stock caame in. So if they purchased ot cheaper, you get it cheaper. They purchase it at a higher price, they sell it higher.

13. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Just checked the Walmart web site, 3.97 for a single, 7.97 for a 2 pack. Still 5x what I pay for a 20 lb refill.

14. tombiasi

Amazon All the Walmarts are out of stock as well as Ace Hardware.
    I bought 6 so I got them for 8.08 ea. Walmart has them listed but they don't have any. I was at Ledgewood today.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  15. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. TSQ

TSQ Active Member

We normally use a 5lb tank but last time we were camping we forgot the POL->1"-20 adapter for the stove so I had to pickup a few 1lb tanks. I paid ~CAD$10 each which seemed high to me.

17. rob.mwpropane

rob.mwpropane Active Member

We bought a 4 pack at Walmart in Bethlehem PA for $12 1.5 months ago. That's the most I've ever paid for a gallon of LP, but we were in a bind.

I installed a y splitter on one of the front bottles and run a hose now.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I haven't priced them locally recently. I do know the price of filling the 20# tanks has gone up a bit. There have been a few articles about shortages and price increases, due to a few reasons, seems to be the story of 2020-2021.
    2 or 3 months ago, our friends in Tucson couldn't even find them to buy before one of their trips. I have a good stash, since I double-bought 4-packs when I was still using them for my propane campfire. I now take a 20# tank for that, it's handy as an extra one, just in case something odd happens with the ones on the trailer. I'm using the 1# on the single burner propane stove, but prefer to use my white gas one, for baking or cooking outside. One of these days, I'll buy a small tank to use with that. As with the campfire, even the small bulk tank gives a more even flame for the stoves. We seldom use the propane Coleman lantern anymore, either, so we don't go through a lot of the one-pounders.

19. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I also always take along an extra 20 gallon tank of Propane. I mainly use it to refill the Fireking bottles I occasionally use. I have the adapter to refill the green 1 lb. bottles if necessary, but that's generally for one of my family members who are still using them. I also don't use the propane lantern any longer. I've found that I can just hang a portable LED light up on a line or under the canopy. It will provide more light than the lantern. This is the one I use, and it is USB rechargeable. One charge will easily last an evening. My Propane cook stove if fueled by a quick disconnect line from the camper itself and is fed from the main tank. In reality the only thing I still need the small propane bottles for is when I use two stoves to cook with. I do have a 4 foot propane hose that I can connect the stove to the 20 lbs. tank. But I rarely to that. This LED light will light up the whole campsite.

https://flashlightpacks.com/the-fiv...ober-19-2020/nolimas-portable-led-work-light/

20. Sjm9911

Just tap the 20 lb with a wye. Then run 2 things, easy. I stoped using the hp port on the pop up, and the TT dosen't even have a hook up, or at least i never found it. Lol. So much easier to take the 20 lb and hook up what you want to it. For me anyway.

Grandpa Don likes this.