1 Lb. Propane tanks.

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by tombiasi, Sep 8, 2021.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I've got 4 of these 1lbs bottles that I think are empty or close to it. I haven't used them in years. I run everything off of 20 lbs tanks and use adaptors/hoses where needed. I just have to remember to use the hose with the regulator on it if I'm feeding the device straight from a 20 lbs tank and not the feed from the camper's propane system.

Funny how in 20 years I went from a Coleman propane lantern to solar powered LED lanterns.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Convenience is what makes them so popular. I guess that is what compels us to pay so much for so little. It must be worth it or we wouldn’t do it.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  3. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I am not trying to make the case for refilling the bottles. I am merely pointing out that the accident in that video had nothing to do with refilling 1 lb bottles. It is misleading. It had everything to do with a woman that had a leaking valve on a "BBQ style 20 lbs propane tank" inside of a very small enclosure with an open flame within feet! And that if the DOT wanted to make the case that it is dangerous to refill the bottles, they should find a case where a bottle did explode while being refilled, or exploded later from a leaking valve. This video does not do that in my opinion!

I personally do not refill them. Though I have on rare occasions. I use the Flame King adapter and bottles. Furthermore, I don't think that anyone who has taken the time to read this entire thread, all 9 pages, will stop refilling bottles if they are now doing so. But they might be a little more careful from now on. There might even be a few people who will now start filling them now that they know that there are adapters available for doing so.

BikeNFish, xxxapache and PopUpSteve like this.
  4. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

One of the regional parks close to me has disposal containers for 1 lb cylinders. That's the only place I've ever seen them.

I don't use very many 1 lb cylinders, but aside from that park, if I have an empty, it goes in the trash.