1 Lb. Propane tanks.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
I've got 4 of these 1lbs bottles that I think are empty or close to it. I haven't used them in years. I run everything off of 20 lbs tanks and use adaptors/hoses where needed. I just have to remember to use the hose with the regulator on it if I'm feeding the device straight from a 20 lbs tank and not the feed from the camper's propane system.

Funny how in 20 years I went from a Coleman propane lantern to solar powered LED lanterns.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I’m still trying to figure out how any of your argument makes a case that it is advisable to refill 1lb propane bottles.
I am not trying to make the case for refilling the bottles. I am merely pointing out that the accident in that video had nothing to do with refilling 1 lb bottles. It is misleading. It had everything to do with a woman that had a leaking valve on a "BBQ style 20 lbs propane tank" inside of a very small enclosure with an open flame within feet! And that if the DOT wanted to make the case that it is dangerous to refill the bottles, they should find a case where a bottle did explode while being refilled, or exploded later from a leaking valve. This video does not do that in my opinion!

I personally do not refill them. Though I have on rare occasions. I use the Flame King adapter and bottles. Furthermore, I don't think that anyone who has taken the time to read this entire thread, all 9 pages, will stop refilling bottles if they are now doing so. But they might be a little more careful from now on. There might even be a few people who will now start filling them now that they know that there are adapters available for doing so.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
One of the regional parks close to me has disposal containers for 1 lb cylinders. That's the only place I've ever seen them.

I don't use very many 1 lb cylinders, but aside from that park, if I have an empty, it goes in the trash.

Patrick w

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2021
Since the time of this writing I have only been able to get the whole kit once and no bottles... sigh

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Our local wally world has only been selling the 2-packs and singles now, no more 4 packs that I have seen. Price was about $8 for a 2-pack. On our last campout with the scouts we also had 2 leaking valves on 2 different tanks - one was almost empty and the other was newer and still pretty full. The empty one we could not get to reseal so it got vented until it was empty. The other one resealed after triggering the valve a couple times. This might be the final impetus to get the committee to approve moving to small 5lb tanks for each patrol and a propane tree, which would eliminate the need for these small cylinders going forward.