1 Lb. Propane tanks.

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by tombiasi, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

You are right!

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

what's your motive to end posting by posting?
    trying to end the fun
    trying to end the sharing
    poking the bear
    I'm enjoying the irony et al

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I am the originator of the post. I stopped getting useful information after a few posts.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok, since im here still, i will say, i do ise them more then i think. I just didn't realize it. I always have one as a back up in case my line fails to the 20 lb tank. The new line is hopefully squirrel proof as its stainless but who knows. Going to a concert in a few, and packed the 20 lb cylinder and 1 lb just in case. I guess i always do that, but really never gave it any thought. I may yet get the refillable bottles.

dbhost likes this.
  5. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I was at three Walmarts looking for the small buddie heater to replace the bigger one i had that we always ran on low.
    Our old one was 4-9k BTU and we ran on low...So i bought the 3800 BTU and found the heater at only one Walmart.
    However every Walmart had plenty of 1LB tanks in stock.
    I save my old tanks and when city has yearly clean up they go to the metal recyclers.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-...40942497&wl5=9024549&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&w
    The OP might wanna drive to Nebraska if he needs some.

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. tombiasi

I can find them here but the price went way up. That was the intent of my original post. To see if its just local or nation wide.

Ps I wouldn't mind a trip to Nebraska but not just for propane tanks.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. firepit

I was surprised so many were in stock....Nobody had the buddy heater i wanted and lowes...home depot walmart all said Buddy told them
    don't expect any shipments till late November....The one Walmart had 3 of the small buddy heaters which i wanted so i grabbed one.
    The camping aisles at Walmart were bare bones but plenty of tanks.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lots of supply chain stuff is screwed up now. Depends on if they had stock before it went unavailable, or if they had stock in a warehouse. I went to look for a 3 gang old construction electrical box last week. None around. Amarzon had them for 25$ lol. But i wasnt spending that much for it. Things are still crazy out there..

9. firepit

Yep...Menards said all their heaters were left over last yrs stock.
    They really pissed me off cuz they showed 2 big buddy heaters and 1 small one in stock.
    I drove 20 miles to find out the were not pulled from the system...So they had none.
    I was not happy....On to the next place....So much for a quick trip to the big city.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I know this thread went totally off the rails, as these things tend to do, but just FWIW, I was just at my local Walmart where they had a pallet of the 2 packs of propane 16.4oz bottles for $7.59.

9 bucks a bottle is super steep though. Wonder what gives with that?

11. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Weren't they like 2 for 5 before? Then again I just got a gallon the other day of the no name brand white gas and it was like 11 or so bucks. Use to be like 5...
    Still say it's a heck of a deal as far as BTU power goes compared to propane.

12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Propane in the 16.4oz bottles for at least the past 4 years or so here has averaged about $3.29 a bottle until recently. Or 2 for $6.00, so yeah a jump in price, but everything is going up..

Crown Camp Fuel, which is what I typically use for everything but the on demand shower which absolutely MUST use propane, gee thanks guys, is listed at $7.64, / gal. I stocked up in the spring as fast as I could after our Feb power outage and subsequent freeze out and it was $8.79 / gal. So one thing that actually went DOWN in price.

However you buy it, fill it, or fuel it, as long as it is going to camp with you, enjoy it, and be safe! Happy Camping y'all!

13. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

after you said 7.64.. I went to look online. Your right, its cheaper, but not everywhere. By me its still close to 11 at walmart. Oh well, I like having it on hand anyhow!

14. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Just watched your video on the double shower thing. Holy crap thats expensive!

15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

To whom are you referring? I assume me since I have a video about the Joolca Ensuite double. A high quality, well deisgned double ensuite tent at a price similar to the Ozark Trail. Yes expensive compared to the instant pop up springy ones, but those springy ones drive me nuts so fair trade for quality and ease of use IMHO...

Anyway, back to the 1lb propane bottle discussion...

16. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

So, how many of you carry a propane torch camping?

1380ken and Ductape like this.
  17. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Yes, I'm sorry, it was late. I had briefly looked at them and thought it was too much, but that thing is amazing.
    I usually use the showers at the cg, but they can be gross at times. I'm thinking this might be worth it.
    The most annoying barrier I had was a spot to change clothing after showering. Trying to change in a limited space and all, and if not hopping out half naked. I'm glad to see it's so solid. Colder weather and wet skin and wind makes for a chilly moment.

18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Yeah, the doubles are more expensive than the singles, but a dry space to change in was vital to me. And yes, unclean CG bathrooms, or fully off grid camping is why I went this route. Simply put, after finding used syringes in CG showers, I figured I'll pass. And don't do popular campgrounds during spring break...

19. tombiasi

For those of you still interested. I'm starting to see the tanks appear in Walmarts and Lowes again at regular prices.
    After I paid 8 bucks each online.

dbhost likes this.
  20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Syringes in the showers, wow, remind me to not camp in Texas

Patrick w, tfischer and Sjm9911 like this.