1# propane tank refills

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by 88PUP, Jul 11, 2013.

1. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

2. MRFIXIT

MRFIXIT New Member

I have one and use it to refill the 1 LB canisters. I don't think that I get them completely full when I refill. Just check the canister connection with some soapy water to check that they are not leaking, as sometimes when they get a little old they will leak. There is less than 75 cents worth of propane in the small canisters, so you should be able to save some money.

3. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

this is interesting, but I think I would like to know a little more.

4. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

I have one of these too and use it all the time. As MRFIXIT says, it probably does not fill the canister all the way but probably at least 80%. So far I have only had one refilled canister that leaked on me.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Before running out and buying the adaptor, check into your local/State laws on the transporting of these refilled 1lb tanks.. in many places while it is legal to refill them, it is infact illegal to transport them...

Personally, I went and bought a hose that allows me to connect my Coleman stove(s) and bbq to a 20lb tank .. this way I don't have to worry about carrying these 1lb bombs ...

6. EV2

EV2 Member

Available online - do not have to run out... [}:)]

7. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Used to use a refill adapter all the time when I tent-camped. Not nearly as insidious as Snow would have you believe. It's not like making pipe bombs for use in a bank heist.

I would get 70-90% fill in the cannisters, depending on cannister and conditions. Best to fill in cooler weather and after you've allowed your cannisters to freeze for a few hours.

Where I'm at, a 1-lb cannister costs ~$3. A 20 lb refill costs around $14. The payback is insane. Even if you have to buy an extra 20-lb tank to do the transfer, it still pays back after one tank of propane.

In the US, I believe there is a federal law that restricts interstate transport of refilled 1-lb cannisters. Not entirely certain how that would be enforced, since a refilled cannister is identical to factory filled cannister. Also, I've never been asked by a state trooper to inspect my 1-lb propane cannisters.

Good luck.

8. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

I refill my 1 lbs tanks but there is a couple of things you can do to help. First freeze the 1 lbs tanks. Gas law is simple the colder it is the more can fit and more will be in liquid state which is left in the 1 lbs tank. I also look at the seals carefully before I refil. If not good dont do it and I check afterwards to make sure not leaking. Don't mess with rusty ones your just askin for issues. I also try to keep my 20 lb tank cooler before I refill. I either do my refills in winter or in the morning after big tank sat in cool garage all night to try again to get as much liquid as I can. Search online as there is some other websites that specifically address this. Take caution and care.

Since upgrading to larger camper I just take an extra 20 lb one with adapter for my grill, the extra tongue weight is nice as my pup is light up front. Though did and could fit the extra 20 lb tank on my previous 8 foot Taos. I also have run extra hose off the high pressure so can hook grill straight up to pup as my hose is 15 foot. So no tank removal needed.

9. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I haven't used a 1# bottle in years. Only need them for a Coleman lantern and stove. Bought a 10# bottle that rides in the PU bed. Using the firepit and a grill, coupled with the fact that we now use awning lights for general illumination. It lasts 1-2 seasons.

10. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q2Jhbbmnos&feature=related

That's a YouTube that demos how to refil the 1 lb

11. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I use these to keep my 1 lb. cylinders from leaking after the first use. You can hand-tighten them enough to seal, in case it has a leaky valve. There is a gasket in each one.

[​IMG]

From Cabela's, $7 for two.

I have yet to have a 1 lb. cylinder explode on me.

12. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I fill tanks and MH's with Propane, please don't say the ex- word [8D]

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

it is ilegal to transport refilled bottles in the US

14. 350jeepcj5

350jeepcj5 New Member

How do you know when there is enough in the small container without it blowing up.

15. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

The instructions I got with mine says cool 1# tank then hook to adaptor on 20# turn 20# tank upside down turn on valve for 1 minute. Shut vavle off tip tank upright then take 1# tank off and check for leaks.

16. turborich

turborich Active Member

They work just fine. Harbor freight sells them as well.

17. jjcastro

jjcastro New Member

Wow!! I never realized this was even possible.

18. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

How would anyone ever know? Unless you told them there's no real way to know. Plus it's actually pretty safe. I've known quite a few people who have done it and I will start to do it at some point. Taking a 20lb bottle in my MC trailer isn't really feasible so the little cans make sense for the lantern and little grill.