110 amp converter?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Krystal Cantrell, May 29, 2020.

1. Krystal Cantrell

Krystal Cantrell New Member

I know that this is probably a dumb question but our 95 Jayco 1006 is set up for a 110 amp and as far as I know there is no where to place a battery on the camper. Is there a way to convert it either way 110-12v or 12v-110 to be able to run interior leds and other smaller things without having to be plugged in using the 110amp cord? Also, should there already be a converter? Newbie to owning a PUP.

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You mean 110 volts. The converter will make 12 volts if you are plugged in. The battery will make 12 volts if you have one wired in. To go from 12 volts to 120 (110) volts AC you would need an inverter, which I don't recommend doing.

5. Krystal Cantrell

This is what we have in our PUP.

Attached Files:

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

There is a converter inside your carson unit, it makes 12v for the lights when plugged in. Next to the fuses is a 'conv-off-batt' switch. If you have a battery wired to the back of the carson unit then placing the switch to BATT would allow the battery to power the 12v items like lights but not the 120v outlets.

carson.jpg

generally on a PU a lead acid deep cycle battery is secured somewhere near the tongue on the 'A' frame, spliced into an existing charge line.

You'd need a method to charge the battery as your power converter does not have that capability.

bheff and Raycfe like this.
  7. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

You can add a battery as noted above, but if you intend to keep it long term, I would suggest you install a new modern converter. You can get a new converter for $100 that will give you AC and DC distribution and three stage battery charging.

Krystal Cantrell likes this.
  8. Krystal Cantrell

Thank you all for your info!