12 volt outlet for 12 volt tv

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by lostboy, Aug 19, 2019.

1. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

My camper has an outlet that says for 12 volt television only. It looks like a 12 volt outlet (cigarette lighter style). It has an on off button to turn the power to the outlet on.

Is there anything special about this or could I plug in a usb phone charger to it? Seems like 12 volt outlet is a 12 volt outlet as long as I don't try to hook a 2000 watt inverter to it.

Just thinking it would be nice when we don't have shore power and I haven't installed anything else to charge the phones and hook into the battery.

Interestingly, my camper came with a tv but it's 120 not 12 volt. TV has been sitting in a closet since we got it!!!

2. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

I can't think of any reason why it would be different other than possibly some sort of isolated surge protected circuit. That shouldn't mean anything else won't work in it. A usb adapter would draw max 5 amps but not likely ever get there.

tombiasi likes this.
  3. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

Can you trace the circuit? What size fuse it on it? What is the wire gauge? There may be other items on that 12v circuit and they don't want a certain amperage level being exceeded.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

That is a 2 in one outlet.. the little button is the on off switch for the antenna booster.. the outlet itself is really designed for tv's only, but I have run a small 12v fan on it a few times when we have lost power at campgrounds.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I think you are referring to one of these ANTENNA WALL PLATES..

[​IMG]

This is provide 12VDC going up the ANTENNA RG6 coaxial cable to provide DC VOLTAGE to operate the built-in amplifier in the BATWING TV Antenna. This has an internal low wattage fuse and if it blows then you do not have a TV signal. I always stayed clear of using it for any other purpose...

I would purchase one of the 12VDC power stations from AMAZON and wire it into the Converter fuse panel or directly from the battery terminals...

I installed one of these on one end of my popup trailer to use for additional fans or other low wattage 12VDC use... I use the USB charger ports a lot ….

[​IMG]
    Google image

I installed one of these on the other end of my POPUP trailer later on. These do not cost much and available from AMAZON...

[​IMG]
    Google image

I like the DC VOLTMETER feature in this model... I'm glad I got one with the ON-OFF switch as the DC VOLTMETER BLUE DISPlAY is pretty bright. I thought I would use it for a nite lite but after seeing how bright it was I ended up turning the panel off at night unless I was using it... Mine are mounted horizonal but with the round modules they can be positioned in any direction. You can mount this panel vertical with this feature...

Both units neat for the USB Power connections that all of our tablets and other like items like cell phones etc needed to be recharged...

Being a HAM RADIO guy I'm always needing 12VDc power for something... I eventually did this to my POPUP trailer over the years since 2008 making up my Ham radio Operating position...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

6. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Yes, that is it. Didn't know it was for the antenna signal. Interesting. Thanks.