12 Volt Outlet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by cssweeney, Jul 1, 2012.

1. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

Hi all, just a quick question. My two 12 volt outlet do not work. I am not sure as to why. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks, [PU]

2. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

My guess is you've blown a fuse. Do any 12VDC circuits work, such as your interior ceiling lights?

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[:D] Welcome from Connecticut, happy and safe camping, enjoy have fun. [CP] Most 12 volt outlets (look like auto cigar lighters)
    [​IMG]
    are installed by the owners and a bad connection in the wiring is where i would look first. The outlets will need a power and a ground wire.

4. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

Yes my interior ceiling lights work. Both when they are hooked up to battery and when hooked to shore power. Thanks, looks like my husband has some investigating to do....

5. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Blown fuse, bad wiring, or both. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Funny story about wiring a 12VDC outlet. I was in a hurry to put one in before a trip and found easily accessible + & - leads. Everything tested fine, so off we went the next day. When we set up, two phones were charging on the outlet, and the furnace came on, even with the thermostat off. I realized that the devices were providing a path for that circuit, bypassing the thermostat.

I spent a few minutes fixing the problem and everything was fine. Glad I brought some tools along.

6. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

you may even have a rocker switch some where inside that needs to be flipped on

7. flagstaff 03

flagstaff 03 New Member

any idea why my 03 flagstaff has 2. 12volt ceiling lights. 12 volt. Bulbs. But. No power un less pluged into 120v Shore power. Not a switch. Any where to switch it over. Can't figure it out...

8. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Is your camper's battery dead? If not, look for a disconnect switch between the battery and converter.

9. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Not trying to be cheeky....but do you have a battery? Is it properly connected? Does it have a charge? Being an '03, you shouldn't have to switch anything over; most likely you have an automatic converter. If not, the switch will be at the converter....you don't see one there, it's auto convert.

As Baja stated, there could also be a quick battery disconnect switch; these are usually at the battery. Also, you could have a blown in-line fuse at the battery, this is an easy visual inspection.

My guess is...if it's been sitting awhile...the battery is toast and/or a combination of that and a blown in-line fuse. These batteries need regular charging and maintenance and a lot of people don't know it and don't do it....so it sits there and dies.

10. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

put a meter on the outlet to make sure it's dead - work your way back to any connections checking them. I suspected my outlet last week and it turned out to be a connection on the 12 volt vacuum I was trying to use. I didn't have any other 12 volt device to put in the outlet to test it but the meter showed it was good.