12 Volt Shower Anyone??

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Pops64, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Pops64

Pops64 Member

I'm sure that someone on the Portal has tried this. But I've done a couple of searches and come up empty.

It's a 12 volt shower system, consisting of a submersible pump, power source, tubing and a shower head. Looks very cool. I'm thinking this would work very well inside my outdoor shower enclosure.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V1UALM/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p200_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0VMEATNB64KSX9GMQC6D&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Anyone tried it? Please tell me it works!!

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Not sure I'd place much stock in a $40 shower.

I do know with absolute certainty that my Eccotemp L5 instant hot shower works perfectly and it's hot enough to wash dishes with too.

[​IMG]

More info here: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=67998.msg640044#msg640044

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. BadLarry

BadLarry New Member

I just bought one if these.. I seems flawless ( as tested at home ) I bought mine for 275.00 and it is great !! Here is a link of two different makes, I got the aquacube version.

Aquacube...
    Mr. Heater Companion Aquacube

it is made my Mr Heater, it even has a nice carry case too

Coleman version..
    Review: Coleman's Hot Water on Demand

4. Pops64

Pops64 Member

Yeah, I do like the looks of that. It would certainly be nice to have a hot water source. But my PUP doesn't have a water pump. So I'd need to install a pump to get pressure when camping without city water. Something to think about.

5. Pops64

Pops64 Member

I just realized that you have your pump mounted below the Ecotemp and all attached to a step stool. Very cool set up. Please tell me more. Do you plumb this into your camper??

6. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I took a Zodi and plumbed it into the trailer. Used an ice chest for a recirculating reservoir. Modified it to eliminate the battery usage. It runs off the campers 12V system. I can have hot water with shore power or boon docking. This is my absolute FAVORITE mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phoodieman

7. Pops64

Pops64 Member

Wow Phoodie, that is slick!!

And in an Apache Ramada! My next camper will be an Apache.

8. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

What I use is a bulge pump designed for boats. Don't use the small pumps due to not having enough pressure to pump water up 6 feet, get the medium size. I connected home (lamp cord) with alligator clips to connect to battery and pump. Used some light weight hose to connect pump to a hand held shower head (your choice) with a hose on/off switch (used to shut off when soaping). Place pump in 5 gal. bucket. Boil hot water on stove and put in bucket with 1/2 cold water. Hook to battery, open valve and get wet. Pump will continue to run when hooked up and no water being used. That will be okay as long as pump is in the water.

9. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Pops, I have the same setup Dubbya made, and I have hooked it into the camper. I just added a second inlet port to the side of the camper, one for hot, one for cold. I tee the cold water going to the heater, and share it to the camper. I don't have a shower set up in the camper, just a sink, but I have used the shower head separately and it works really well. This uses very little propane as well, and HOT water is instant. If you are not boondocking, you can hook it up to a water supply, and don't need the tank or battery.

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I don't connect the hot side to the camper since I only have a small sink with a 3-way faucet but if I had a standard hot/cold faucet, I'd do what Shelmily does.

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150

11. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Good Idea. I have a Ramada too. I have a porta-potti (sears version) and the 2 room shower tent now but not crazy about being outside to shower

Jerry in MA

12. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

What year Jerry_Ma? I have a 73 Ramada. I just got through putting in the 54" bed ends I harvested from a 76 Cim. First trip out to see how it all works.

Phoodieman

13. huizarr

huizarr Member

I personally have not used one. But last Christmas we went to South Padre Island and there was a snowbird (from Ohio I believe) who used one daily in the showers as they don't have any hot water in them. He would boil water and put it in two 5 gallon buckets and use that handheld shower.

14. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

I have the 12v pump in the OP and it works great. I like it better than other similar 12v pumps because the intake is small enough to fit into the mouth of most water carrying jugs. Believe it or not, some of the other manufacturers make theirs too big to fit in a standard camping jug.

I've put this pump to the test, including emptying my hot tub with it before doing a repair. (The valve was stuck, so that was my easiest option.)

I also used one when creating a sink setup for my conversion van. A vanity with built-in sink for $29 from Home Depot, one of these pumps, a few plumbing parts and a couple of jugs (clean and gray water), and I was set.

15. TCwheels

TCwheels "All who wander are not lost..."

Phoodie - what's the collection system/shower base?

16. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

This is the setup stowed away.

[​IMG]

I used a utility tub. Removed the legs. Had to saw off the area where the spigots would be located. It was a perfect fit for the storage area under the bench seat.

[​IMG]

The expanding square to hold the curtain was irrigation line from Home Despot. One size telescoped perfectly into the other. Then elbows for the corners. I used two shower curtains. I use the blue Wal Mart water containers for grey water. I get two showers out of one charge and two showers fit in the blue tote. Worked out pretty good.

Phoodieman

17. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Mine is a 74. I need to measure but they are bigger than the ones in the Mesa.

Mine is in its cocoon at the moment so I cannot measure it at this time.

Do you go to any roundups? I am planning on going to NY in October with it.

Jerry in MA

18. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I think anything after a 73 has the 54" bed ends. But I'm not sure. I went to the 2013 East Coast Spring rally in February in North Carolina and then the West Coast 2013 rally at the Grand Canyon at the end of July. It's pretty cool to see a virtual sea of Apaches at these round ups. Lots of Apache talk that you don't get anywhere else. Great bunch of people at both rallies too.

Phoodieman