12ft aluminum boat on tent trailer

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by peter moyes, Feb 6, 2018.

1. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Like so 093CABCA-06C9-4EC4-AAD0-E309A44CE95B.png

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Most pups aren't designed to carry an extra 300-400 lbs of weight on the roof, much less the added stress of cranking it down with ratchet straps.

3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

It was 245. The weight over the outer edge of the roof while the pup was closed. As I said my pup is over 20 years old and no roof issues. That’s my experience do as you choose.

4. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Looking at pictures of a sunfish sailboat, I think blocks meant for standup paddle boards may work better for you than canoe gunwale blocks. I’d use a pair of 2x4s across the roof to spread the load, then put the foam blocks on that and strap it all down to the frame.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Car-...eywords=Sup+foam+blocks&qid=1579647092&sr=8-4

gladecreekwy likes this.
  5. sidneyhop

sidneyhop Member

I have yet to fabricate this, but my plan is to build two supports inside that will run vertically between where the beds meet when closed. Have a 'T' on top and bottom to spread out the load and also run some foam on the top to protect the ceiling. This will keep the roof a lot more stable when going over any bumps with a heavy load on the roof. Quickest and easiest way to add maximum support IMO.

6. sidneyhop

sidneyhop Member

Also could do a measurement of the distance between the ceiling and bed when closed and add some firm foam blocks of a little larger size (take into consideration the mattresses will compress) and spread those around on pressure points on the roof.