12V 1999 Taos-Manetek 6712 problems

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by huck2me, Aug 15, 2017.

1. huck2me

huck2me New Member

Opened up camper for pre-eclipse prep. My interior lights and gas leak detector were not working. I checked the fuses and #2 appliance fuse was blown. Checked meter at fuse 13.81A, replaced fuse, no lights. Checked leads from back of Magnetek #1 (blue/white+, per label on Magnetek) no reading. #2 (Blue+) 13.81A. Checked reading at fuses, Fuse #1, 13.81A, Fuse #2, 0.0. So I think those are mislabeled. Now if I put a 15A fuse in #1 slot fuse blows immediately whether camper is hooked to shore power or not. 12V Battery is reading fine at 13.5A. AC outlets work fine.
    Any ideas to figure this mess out?

Thanks

2. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Replacing that fuse got the propane alarm to work?

Sounds like you have a short somewhere in that circuit. If it's the circuit for the lights, check the wiring running from the top of the wall up to the ceiling and the light fixture(s).

3. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Why are you stating "13.5A"?? "A" is shorthand for AMPS. o_O
    13.81v is what I'd consider high for a standard deep-cycle battery; 12.7v to 13.3v is more normal. You normally only see that type of voltage when a charge is being applied.
    But yes, if a fuse is blowing, you have a short in the 12v system. Disconnect and isolate; disconnect the battery and check for continuity between chassis ground and positive side of each connection you can access.

4. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

If I remember mine correctly, line #1 is the battery charge line. #2 powers all 12v inside the camper.

I suspect the wires that come out of the camper body near the lift arms that would power the inside lights was pinched and shorted.

Also, one of the fuses should be for the reverse battery connection protection. Check to make sure you reconnected the battery correctly. Usually White is Negative and Black is Positive, like house wiring, not vehicle wireing.

5. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

This connector

Attached Files: