12V / 30amp Plug

KampCraft79

Jun 16, 2014
TEXAS
I have a 1999 Dutchman Pop-up that did not have a battery (or battery box) when i bought it. The wires and converter were there already so I added the battery.

My question is: Do I need to turn the battery is off before plugging in the 30amp power. or is it ok if the battery is on while its plugged in? I don't want to damage the converter.. Wasn't sure if it would hurt the converter if both the battery was on and the pup was plugged in?

Boatnman

Super Active Member
Jan 19, 2017
western Colorado
Find out what converter you have. Here's a link to another converter topic here on the portal for a 1997 Dutchman which might be helpful if you have the same converter: www.popupportal.com/threads/converter-questions.110742/#post-1119753

Generally, converters have built-in battery charger, so you leave the battery connected while you're on Shore Power (120v) and the converter provides 12v power to the PUC's 12v system and charges the battery. However, as in the case of the linked topic, the converter did not have a charger but still provided 12v to the PUC's system.

Boatnman

Super Active Member
Jan 19, 2017
western Colorado
The simple answer is no.

However, if your converter is capable of charging the battery and you want your battery to be charging when plugged into Shore Power, then you will need to have the battery connected to the electrical system.

Sorry for the confusion...