12v battery meter

typan

"That' just not right"
Mar 18, 2009
Up North Michigan
Does anyone have a 12v battery meter in there pup? I want to put a permanent one in to monitor the battery. What kind is best? What should I buy? any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Do they work well? Accurate?

Thank you, Mike

Xolthrax

Franconia, Pa.
I bought a 12V panel meter for $9 on eBay. I installed it into an exterior electrical box and added an illuminated switch.

2814219650101305190S500x500Q85.jpg

Works well for me.

Brent878

Feb 4, 2009
Xolthrax said:
I bought a 12V panel meter for $9 on eBay. I installed it into an exterior electrical box and added an illuminated switch.

2814219650101305190S500x500Q85.jpg

Works well for me.

I also bought this one and also a matching amp meter. I haven't received them yet so not sure how good they work. Will report once I install them.

DCampbell1969

May 25, 2007
McDonough, Georgia
I have the classic round gauge with a dial showing percentage of charge instead of volts. I had it installed at the dealer upon purchase. I'm sure there are slightly more accurate and more costly options, but mine works fine.

opnorty

Feb 8, 2009
Iowa
I was looking at adding a permanent one as well. After doing some looking around, I ended up going with a non-permanent solution. I installed a 12V 'cigarette lighter' style outlet in my camper. From there, I bought a meter at WalMart that plugs into that. I went that route so I could also use the outlet to charge cell phones, etc.

opnorty

Feb 8, 2009
Iowa
One other thing - make sure you get one that is accurate to about 0.01 volts. You need that level of accuracy to monitor the battery level. I pretty satisfied with this solution so far...

RacerSTA

Oct 1, 2008
Greely, Ontario - Canada
Also installed a cigarette outlet and use the VoltMinder (link above or go direct to their web page). The voltminder is a bit more expensive than Walmart meters, but it has a few other desirable features. For example it has an alarm so that when battery reaches a certain preset voltage (that you can choose) you get warned.... In my case when the alarm goes off, its time to charge or switch batteries before I discharge too much.

Works very well for me... and I also use it in my boat, etc...

ogeer3

Super Active Member
Oct 14, 2004
Grand Prairie,TX,75052
I carry a cheaper portable volt ohm meter in the camper now.
I also got one of the meters like Joe used and I intend to mount it outside on the battery box. Or, I may mount it inside. I haven't decided for sure yet.

HenryJ

BLT Offroad
Jul 8, 2011
I have been using these inexpensive battery condition meters for quite a while now.

meter.JPG

They have been reliable and a great quick low draw indicator of battery condition. Cheap and simple.

Yellowkayak

Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you
Mar 13, 2007
henry that is what I have on ALL my batteries, truck, pup, and garden solar pumping system. Had only one go bad, but it also drained one of my batteries down low, but not kill it, Luckily I cuaght it in time and recharged my battery with a solar battery charger that I use for the garden pump. I bought one of those $3.00 harbor Freight voltage testers and added the head Phone jack (got that idea from one of the guys on this forum), then plug into jack in the pup and it tells me my voltage, plus i kept the original probs to test other things.

JJ

MarkoPolo

Lance 1995
Jun 28, 2011
JJ, are you saying you hooked the Harbor Freight volt meter to a large headphone jack(not small like iPhone size) and that plugs into the bunk light outlet?

Xolthrax

Franconia, Pa.
I know this an old thread, but I did make some improvements in the past 2 years. I still have the meters from the pictures above hooked up, but I found that they were a bit inconvenient to use, especially if you wer IN the camper.

This year, I installed new meters on the side of the dinette seat just inside my door. This makes them convenient to read if you are inside OR outside the camper.

2960667940101305190S600x600Q85.jpg

They are far more useful and I love having them.

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
I just put a volt meter in my Pup the other day. I too put it in the end of one of my dinette seats. It is turned on by pushing in a momentary contact switch. I may get a picture of it on here tomorrow.

Joe, I'm just trying to figure out whats with 2 meters? What are they both checking, 2 separate batts?

I also really like that crest of meat eaters that you have on your webshots page. Is that a real club and do I need permission to use that with my friends?

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Heres a couple of pics of my volt meter and clock installation.

I put the clock close to the door so you can just open the door, push the little button on the clock to light it up and have a look with out going all the way into the Pup.

The voltmeter is on a momentary push button because it doesn't need to be lit up 24/7

Clock

Clock

Voltmeter

Voltmeter

There's a few more pics in my webshots album

Xolthrax

Franconia, Pa.
Joe, I'm just trying to figure out whats with 2 meters? What are they both checking, 2 separate batts?

That's exactly right. I have 2 batteries. That's what the "A" and "B" stickers designate. I like the momentary switch idea. That makes a lot more sense.

I also really like that crest of meat eaters that you have on your webshots page. Is that a real club and do I need permission to use that with my friends?
I also really like that crest of meat eaters that you have on your webshots page. Is that a real club and do I need permission to use that with my friends?[/quote]

Ha ha. Twice a year a group of my friends and I take a camping trip called "MeatFest". It involves vast quantities of meat, beer, poker, and a total lack of good judgement. We are the founding members of the "Royal Brotherhood of Meat Eating Men", and we grant you license to use our logo. Annual dues are a case of beer.

If you like that, you'd LOVE our PETA logo (People Eating Tasty Animals).

There's a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
My wife is sitting in front of the television, wondering why I'm chuckling at your response. I'm not sure how I can mail you a case of beer, but I'll have to try and come up with something. Thanks very much for the permission to show your logo to my friends.

I love that PETA accrinum. I'm with you on that.

Thanks

jeeper88

Let's go Camping and Jeepin
Apr 24, 2011
Ocala,FL
HenryJ said:
I have been using these inexpensive battery condition meters for quite a while now.

meter.JPG

They have been reliable and a great quick low draw indicator of battery condition. Cheap and simple.

I have also been using this one for a while now. I just touch a button and it tells me the condition of the battery. I got mine at harbor freight for $3. It's cheap but it works for me. :)

jamesmc321

Aug 18, 2011
Wrenchgear said:
Heres a couple of pics of my volt meter and clock installation.

I put the clock close to the door so you can just open the door, push the little button on the clock to light it up and have a look with out going all the way into the Pup.

There's a few more pics in my webshots album

Where did you buy the volt meter and clock? I have been looking high and low online and can't seem to find anything like them.

Thank you,

James