12v DVD player?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Brent878, May 20, 2009.

1. Brent878

Brent878 New Member

I just bought a 12v 22" lcd TV for my pup and need a dvd player. The TV is 1080i so a progressive scan dvd or any dvd that uses hdmi would be perferred for easy of setup. I want to stay 12v as the whole reason for getting the 12v TV is so I could avoid using a inverter but finding a 12v dvd player is harder than I thought. Most of the ones I am coming across are the portable ones with little screens which I don't need.

Anyone have any suggestions or own one they can recommend?

2. Stan

Stan New Member

http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-110v-ac-dvd-players-c-552.html

3. camping dad

camping dad New Member

Most pups have a 110 plug in them, but I know you can also buy a portable for a car and use rca plugs from the player to your bigger tv

4. rccs

rccs Member

We use a portable one like you mention and just hook it to the tv with a set of cables to watch it on the tv, works good for us.

5. DelorFamily

DelorFamily Member

Does your laptop have a HDMI port? You might just be able to use that as a DVD player.

6. Brent878

Brent878 New Member

Thanks. I found that but that is about the only ones I can find. From the looks of it, I am not going to find a progressive scan dvd player for 12v cheap.

Ya mine has 110 plugs but 90% of the time I boon dock camp so no 110v for me and I don't want to run a generator just to watch a dvd.

Ya I was thinking of going that route but it seems like a waste to me to be paying for the extra 7" screen if I am not going to use it. All my cars have a dvd/nav in it so I wouldn't really use the little player other than to play dvd's on the bigger TV. But I guess I will look into this option and see what they have to offer.

Nope no HDMI port on my laptop. I just have composite out on the laptop.

7. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Buy the DVD player you want and a 300-400 watt power inverter. These are big enough to power your DVD player and then some but still small enough to be able to plug into a 12 volt outlet.

8. Brent878

Brent878 New Member

ya that is what I am going to do for the moment. I am just going to use my home dvd player on an inverter till I find what i want. I am just trying to avoid using inverters for something I can find in 12v.

9. DaveH

DaveH New Member

Just curious but what's the problem with inverters? It looks like you're paying a big premium and maybe giving up features going with the 12V.
    I use a very simple set up. 400W cheapo inverter hangs off the battery. Home extension cord fishes through vinyl to a powerbar. TV, DVD, blender, game/phone chargers etc plug into powerbar. Just a thought.

Cheers, Dave

10. Goldpickerdave

Goldpickerdave New Member

Hey WHY MESS WITH DVD ????
    GO MPEG 4 heres why
    You can buy a stand alone unit
    http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Premierteknet__W0QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fsubZ947054 that all you have to do is copy your movies to. It holds hours and hours of video no chance of damaging a disc because the video is stored on a computer hard drive now you would still have to use an inverter BUT this would a great way to go.

You might also considering a buying an ipod an A/V out Cable that you can hook into a 12 volt TV that way it would decrease the the power usage the ipod runs on a couple AA batteries and also you would be able to store all of your video on the ipod which is kewl. Ipod is also nice because in the off time from camping you can put it in the house so it is not out in the weather don't care how well you wrap up a Pup it is not a good place to store electronics.

Hope this helps God bless and good camping

Dave

11. boble97

boble97 New Member

Hey All,
    I know this thread is a bit stale but I figured I'd toss in my 2 cents. I picked up a 12 v tv with a built-in dvd player and an external/standalone dvd player. I have fed the standalone into the tv. We normally use the standalone now to watch our movies and listen to music. If it ever takes a dump on us, we can use the one built-in to the tv.

Funny thing is, I did this about a few months ago after following a link from here to 12volt-travel.com.

This is the tv i bought: 12-Volt TV 15.6" LCD Hi-Def with ATSC & NTSC Tuners
    This is the dvd player i bought: 12 Volt DVD Player with Remote

This has been a fantastic investment for us. We love the TV and the dvd player. It really is quite a nice setup and we've received quite a few compliments.

12. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

Have you tried checking out a truck stop? They should be able to get it if they don't already have it.

13. happytrailshappycamper

happytrailshappycamper Ehhh, it'll work!

As a trucker, I can tell you yes the truck stops have 12v DVD players. Not sure of the quality, but the do have them. Look at Flying J, Travels Centers of America (TA), or Petro. They all 3 carry them. It's about the size of a personal 7" dvd player, but of course it doesn't have a screen. And they will run on 12V or 110V.