12v fans using existing 12v light plug in

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Jorja, May 4, 2018.

1. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

IMG_2594.PNG IMG_2595.PNG

Ok

It's hot. I got 2 fantastic fans for our camper to use dry camping, as well as working in the camper in the driveway (on a hot day like today). Our camper did not come with a fan in the roof, just AC unit.

But, I didn't think about the fans being for cars to plug in the cigarette lighters (and not the pin in the light fixture on the camper).

We don't have any 12v plugs in our Niagara.

Is there a simple converter we could buy that can still connect these fans to the plug in on the lights in the camper? Or are we going to have to do some wiring?

2. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

IMG_2596.PNG
    I realize I could get these 12v adapters for each fan to plug into electric when the camper is hooked up in the driveway - or if we are at a campground w hook ups just to have better airflow without using the AC.

But I really got them for our eventual dry camping trips.

Though it's as hot as Hades today in the driveway and I'm cleaning and doing some modifications that would make the fans use nice and cool.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

The 1/4" jack is just a simple 1/4" headphone jack. Nothing special. Should be good for a few amps. The Fantasic Fan draws around 3.5A on high. So you're good there.
    But I don't think there's a premade adapter.
    These: 1/4" Phono Plugs
    And these: Cigarette lighter receptacles
    A little soldering and you've got your own adapters.
    Or you can look into installing these: 12V Sockets

Jorja likes this.
  4. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

It is simple to add a 12v cigarette lighter receptacle. My 02 Mesa has one near the galley OEM, and I added one outdoors on the curbside. Probably, your camper had one factory, and it was deleted by a PO.

Jorja likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jorja likes this.
  6. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Thanks guys!

I just unpacked the fans an hour ago and realized my mistake in thinking I didn't need anything else to get the fans to work with a dc jack
    (D'Oh! - guess that's why the ASFAB didn't say a job as an electrician was in my future)

We are planning on putting some 12v outlets in on the Niagara. Great links - just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I was just excited to use the fans today.

Thank you all for the quick responses - I'm hoping I can find some old phone charger ac/dc converters in basement.

Nothing beats being a pack rat!

Didn't know about the vibrating - guess I'll see how that goes over with my skittish border collie!

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I don't have the Endless Breeze fans - they were a little pricey for me. I do have a number of different O2Cool 12V fans. I have 2 of the older (now discontinued) canopy fans they made that I use in each bunk end since they are pretty light and have strong magnets. I also have a set of their folding camping fans. These are the ones that use D batteries in their base, but also have a AC adapter port. I have a bunch of 12V 1amp adapters from various electronics that I have accumulated over the years and they have the same plug. I uses these ones when hooked into power. However, I did make some Y-splitters for the 12V port on the ceiling fixtures. On mine I have an L adapter that goes into the light, then the Y-splitter I made, and then the bunk fan and the bunk light. It is pretty easy to do - I ordered the parts off Amazon and just had to solder the wires into the mic plug. The tolerance is pretty tight though - make sure you do a good job at soldering or it will be too thick and the sleeve won't fit over it when you reassemble the mic plug.

If you just need an AC adapter go to your local thrift store. They usually have a box of assorted adapters and you might find one with the right socket and power.

Jorja likes this.
  8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

X2 on the O2-COOL 10-inch fans from WALMART...

These work off of 120VAC using xfmr, 12VDC using 12V plug, Internal D-CELLs...

Givesoff great wind and very quiet...

I have one for each tent bed end... Got mine from WALMART

[​IMG]

These are also perfect for placing behind one of those low profile oil-filled 120VAC heaters we use. When at electric sites we run a drop cord into the trailer to run our oil filled heaters instead using the very loud propane furnace blowers... Using the sites 20AMP Service does not take away from the 30A Service so you can using both services at same time...

This fan sets behind the oil-filled heater if you want to move some air around the room...

[​IMG]

We like to use this low profile oil-filled portable heater in the trailer as it has no open flame or red hot core and is probably the safest heater you can find for small kids and animals. The only noise it makes is click every now and then...

When sitting outside in the chairs we like to have the 120VAC 20-inch blowing on us to keep the mosquitoes away from us...

This is what we do at any rate hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Katskamper and Jorja like this.
  9. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Thanks for the info on the O2 fans as well.

The ones I had from tent camping I thought were just D battery operated - didn't realize they could be plugged into either AC or DC.

Fans for mosquitoes is a great idea as well.

We're going to solder some adapters to plug into the jacks this weekend. We will have fans a plenty now.

Thank everyone!

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Another thing I have done along this line is we camp off-grid almost all the time. I got one of those not so expensive 600WATT PSW Power Inverters for my setup.
    [​IMG]

I ran two 120V multi-head drop cords from the cabinet I have the power inverter installed in which is just five feet away from the battery bank.
    [​IMG]

One drop cord is in the home entertainment area and the second drop cord goes to a cabinet top near where we sleep.

These are on all the time we are camping and are available to to use for the few low wattage 120VAC items we might have needs for.. Being ON all the time doesn't mean it is drawing the full 600WATT load. We very seldom get over the 300WATT load capacity and then only for an hour or so...

I have also installed a couple of these inexpensive DC POWER Charging stations connected directly to the battery banks.. These are available from BLUE SAE and you can get them from AMAZON... This is for the many laptop and tablets etc that needs to be charged up all the the time...

[​IMG]
    More things to drain your battery with hehe...

This may not be a good idea for those that only have one battery on their camper as if you are not aware of things like this you will run down your battery and not have a way to recharge etc..

In our case we have designed it all to run one day/nite off the power grid somewhere and then re-charge our batteries the next morning at 8AM when allowed using my 2KW Generator hooked up to the trailer shore power cable which will take around three hours of generator run time to recharge my multiple battery bank.

It is all second nature to us running off the power grid and been doing it with this trailer since early 2009...

What you don't want to happen is run out 12VDC when you are camping off the power grid hehe... It does take some planning up front...

If you guys are maybe looking into doing alot of camping off-grid you might want to beef up things to run off your batteries more than you do off of running off shore power somewhere...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Jorja likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

When you're shopping for an adapter to power your Endless Breeze fans. You need a minimum of 3.5A. 12V, 42W Minimum. Otherwise you'll overload it and burn it out.

Jorja likes this.