12v lights have power but won’t work

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by P. Weedon, Jun 28, 2019.

1. P. Weedon

P. Weedon New Member

Here’s how it all started..
    At camp hooked up to 30 amp with our 08 Flagstaff (w/ Wfco 8725-P converter) Just running vent fan. Nothing else on. I turned on inside light. Fan slowed and light started to dim. Turn off light and fan sped back up. Turned light on again and everything went out. All three interior lights and fan. Wouldn’t come back on. Fuses all good. I have 13.3 v to lights. I did have to replace 3 speed switch to the fan. So now I have power going to all 3 lights and fan. But fan won’t run and new bulbs won’t illuminate. At home hooked up to 110 w/ adapter. Lights show 13v when running off of battery and 110. Any suggestions/help GREATLY appreciated.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The voltage may be there but there may be high resistance in the line due to bad connection or corrosion. Check the screw connections and splices.

Fless likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Do you have good ground?

4. JT2

JT2 Member

Somewhere there is one common connection or ground that's affecting both (all) circuits. I think Tom (above) has it right ... loose connector/ weak ground/ loose wire nut/ whatever. If your PU is assembled with those damn blue crimp-on connectors or wire taps, that's a first place to look. It won't be hard to fix but it may be a pain to find.

5. P. Weedon

P. Weedon New Member

Thanks for the help. I’ll start tracking down grounds and splices as soon as I get home. Kinda hot to camp in Texas now but it will ease my mind getting it fixed.

6. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

What kind of bulbs - incandescent, or LED?

7. Fless

Fless Active Member

^^^ This is highly likely. You may have voltage without a load, but if you measure the voltage at the socket with the light bulbs inserted, what does the voltage do? If it drops to near zero, you likely have a bad connection (positive or ground) in the circuit that feeds the fixture. Something like a wire that's rubbed through and broken most of the way, or a very corroded splice, or a bad ground.

8. P. Weedon

P. Weedon New Member

Incandescent.

9. P. Weedon

P. Weedon New Member

I’m still out of town but will be back Sunday night. I’ll start by checking resistance through my ground wires. Probably one of those blue splicers somewhere.