12V Not Working At All

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Palomino99, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Palomino99

Palomino99 New Member

I just purchased a 1999 Palomino Yearling, the thing needs a lot of work. We cannot figure out why the 12V electrical does not work. The battery is good but even when we have the camper plugged into the house, all of the 12V lights do not work (internal and external lights) but all the electrical outlets work perfect. One of the fuses does keep blowing repeatedly. We tried tracing the wires from that fuse to see if there is a short but the wires go out the flooring and into the frame under the camper, we don't know where they came out. What can we do?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You need to find out where the blown fuse circuit goes first.
    If the wire leaves the camper floor the choices are limited. Does any outside 12 volt lights work? You should have a meter to continue trouble shooting. Its possible the wire went through the floor only to pop up in another location. (this is not usually done.) Check the wires that go to the ceiling and check the ceiling fixtures for damage.
    Get a meter and come back.

3. Palomino99

Palomino99 New Member

None of the 12V outside lights work. We checked the indoor ceiling fixtures/wires for damage and everything looked fine except there is no power reaching them. We used a meter to test the fixtures and also to test the fuses and battery (which all look fine). Is there an easier way to trace the blown fuse circuit? We aren't able to track it visually because it goes into the frame. Thanks for the help

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Possible that it has a circuit breaker somewhere between the battery and converter?

5. tombiasi

Can you list all the things that work from 12 volts?
    Usually lights, water pump, heater blower motor, any accessories like co detector, charge ports.

6. Palomino99

Palomino99 New Member

We have not looked for that yet. I will look when I get home just to make sure

7. Palomino99

Palomino99 New Member

Literally nothing 12V works. I tried testing the co detector and that has zero power to it as well

8. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Are you positive that you have battery hooked up correctly? Reverse polarity fuse blown?

9. tombiasi

I should have been more specific. Instead of “works on dc”. I should have said “ is supposed to work on dc”
    It’s not good enough to measure that you have no voltage, you need to disconnect it Put a 12 volt bulb across the blown fuse. It should light if you have a short. Disconnect devices that you are unsure of the supply wires.
    If you find the shorted device the light will go out.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    wmgeorge likes this.
  10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

are familiar with the kill switch, often the sink flips over and pushes a 'button' that then allows the ceiling lights to work. Without the button pushed the lights won;t work either plugged in or via battery.

Wires going into the frame sounds like they go up front to the battery.

11. phillij

phillij New Member

Thank you for mentioning the buttons under the sink. While all fuses and voltages checked out, I still had no lights. I raised the sink unit, looked under it, and saw the handle of a spatula sticking down. After pushing the handle back up into the cubby area under the sink area, all the lights work. The handle was holding up the sink just enough that it could not push the buttons.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  12. tombiasi

What about the blown fuse?
    The kill switch would do nothing for the other DC devices, only the overhead lights.

13. boopheads

boopheads I'd rather be camping

Are you checking for 12VDC on the battery terminals or on the ring terminals that are attached to the battery? The battery maybe good but you may have a bad connection at the batt. Bad or loose connections could be causing the fuse to blow. Another suggestion would be to remove the blown fuse and with and check for 12VDC at the fuse holder. One side should have 12V and the other nothing. If you have 12V on one side, switch the meter to ohms. Check the side with zero volts to a good ground. Make sure it has no paint or rust. If the meter shows low resistance, you have a short.