12v wiring - If at first you don't succeed....

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by jackquontee, May 22, 2020.

1. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member Diamond Supporting Member

...keep re-configuring your wiring connections for as long as you have fuses to blow! Lol. I hope everybody knows that's meant as a joke. Well, sort of.
    I recently posted that I reconnected the OEM 12v cigarette plug
    IMG_1818.JPG
    so that, if needed, I could use my 150w inverter. Well, in all the digging around in the camper I found a multi 12v outlet, usb charger, and voltmeter unit.
    IMG_1933.JPG
    I thought it might be nice to install it in place of the OEM cigarette plug as it had the additional usb charging, but I didn't need or want the voltmeter since I had one on the opposite side of the camper. What I did want was to replace the voltmeter with an on/off (rocker) switch in order to avoid trickle power loss (can't remember the actual electrical term right now).
    Anyhow, the switch I ordered didn't come with wiring directions but I thought I'd check the 'net and I'd be okay. The directions I found showed both the power and negative wires being connected and then daisy chained from there to the other loads.
    Well, long story short but four fuses later, it finally occurred to me that I was looking to use this switch in the same way that I use the battery cut off switch I recently installed, and I remembered that I had the positive (power) wire connected to the input side of the switch, and the loads connected to the output side of the switch. There was no ground/negative connection to or from the switch.
    So, after having given up for the umpteenth time, I trekked back out to the camper and rewired the on/off switch so that power was connected to one wire going in and the other wire coming from the switch will power, or cut power to, the "loads."
    IMG_1934.JPG
    This was a long, long day.

A-Ranger12 likes this.
  2. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Nice thinking like an electron! Electrons are like teenagers, any shortcut to avoid doing work, they'll take.

That new switch looks slicker than the old one. Glad it's working!

jackquontee likes this.
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

If it was plumbing, the water would have revealed your error sooner.

4. jackquontee

Oh, it didn't take long at all. As soon as I'd wire things up and turn the battery cut-off switch back on the 10a fuse would blow.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We are going to start calling you sparky

6. jackquontee

I have determined I'm going to figure out this electrical stuff, even if it means burning the camper down. Wait, you know what I mean. Lol
    Believe it, or not, I took something away from this experience. I realized that all things "electrical" are not equal. I can't imagine at this point what more I would need to do electrically to the camper but, if there comes a time, I want to definitely sit down and think everything through, and even sketch up some things so I can visualize it all before moving forward. One of the things I found frustrating this time was trying to picture everything in my mind. The memory just isn't what it used to be.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

May I respectfully suggest that you look at a few tutorials on DC wiring.

8. jackquontee

Of course. Any recommendations?
    What's interesting is that I followed diagrams when I wired my batteries in parallel and wired the battery disconnect switch. No problem. I did the same when attempting to wire this multi 12v, including referencing this web page https://www.explorist.life/how-to-wire-12v-plugs-fans-and-accessories-in-a-diy-camper/, but realized afterwards that I had two problems. 1) The rocker switch I had did not identify the positive connection versus the negative (but I recalled that a previous power switch I wired, which did have the directions/diagram had me wire the positive to the center post, so I did the same in this instance) and; 2) In following the directions under the Chaining Multiple 12v Outlets section of the above web page, it did not differentiate between connecting what is essentially a power cut-off switch and a "load."
    In any event, I'm always up for learning and, while I don't anticipate doing any more electrical work on this camper (with the exception of some solar stuff that's really "plug and play") I imagine some day I'm going to get to the darkside and will make whatever mods I'll feel necessary at that time.
    Again, thanks for the suggestion!

9. LaneG

LaneG Member

It is the hot or positive wire that you run through a switch. Switches usually don't have a polarity called out.

10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

ALWAYS the hot side. Never the ground. Unless you need to isolate everything and disconnect all conductors (as on my last paid project, befor eI retired).

jackquontee and LaneG like this.
  11. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You can start here: https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-electrical/ then come back.
    And here: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/dccircuits/dcp_1.html

jackquontee likes this.
  12. jackquontee

Yes, I'm aware of that. What I wasn't aware of until yesterday that there is no need to connect the negative/ground.

13. jackquontee