14 occupied sites in loop, 10 are brand new campers.

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Old_Geezer, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

And all 10 are obsessed with leaving every exterior light on from dusk to dawn. This sucks. So much for inebriated star gazing. Covidiots I presume. This place looks like the aliens have landed.

PaThacker, bookooc, Amarada and 7 others like this.
  2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

This past weekend we stayed at a NFS campground what has about 20 sites but us and some friends were the only ones there. Neither of us run outside lights.

3. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Usually where we camp no sites are electric. So things stay pretty dark as people try to save their battery.

4. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Doesn't always help. I posted a few weeks ago about a campground we stayed at, there was no electric at the entire campground (even the water well was solar). Some people just ran a generator constantly during non-quiet hours so they could light up their sites like a parking lot, and then sit inside.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  5. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Wow some pretty inconsiderate campers where you camp. I have had lots of partiers at times around us, but everyone shuts their jennys off at the specified times.

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to hear... although not totally surprised I suppose... it has been a very “special” year lol... gotta try out all those new gadgets!

Steveo4090 and rescamilla like this.
  7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

That's when you hold a "New Camper Owner" seminar.

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

How nice that would be. Probably would go in one ear and out the other.

Some longtime hosts, who are about the nicest folks you'll ever meet, told me they are seriously considering not returning next uear due to the number of total jerks they have had to deal with during the 2020 season. They have never seen anything like it in 18 years of hosting at state parks. The top two complaints are weak cell coverage / no wifi and no OTA TV signal. Not sure how a campground host solves those issues lol,but its important enough for some of these clowns to go beating on the hosts door at 10 PM at night.

They also mentioned the more than a few folks who do not understand leash rules or what a poop bag is used for, and the amounts of trash left behind they have to clean up. I believe they have a good baseline to compare the difference from prior years.

9. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

how far will my site be from yours Saturday night? I need to make sure I install enough lights today to be easily seen from your site.

sadly this doesn’t surprise me as the whole lighting thing is being promoted by both manufacturers and dealers. “Look how many more lights we have compared to them”

kcsa75, rescamilla and PopUpSteve like this.
  10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

@Old_Geezer these are the people I really hope don’t stick with camping!

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Two years ago, there was a new big travel trailer that had light show projectors aimed on both sides of the trailer. The light show ran all night long. Of course it lit up the trees around them, so everyone could enjoy. New money wants to be seen and heard.

rescamilla and neighbormike like this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I do use my old school awning lights, but at 10 pm they go off. I hate it more when they have the bright led landing lights that shine right at my camper.

rescamilla and neighbormike like this.
  13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Yup, most of these campers will have a "For Sale" sign on them by this time next year.

Every year the manufacturers put more and more amenities on these campers to the point of why leave home.

14. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really don't understand the whole extra bright lights thing either. On our first trip this year with the new camper, My wife and I both were about blinded by the LED awning light strip that came with it. That week I installed a dimmer on it. I rarely take it off the lowest setting now, which is like 30% of the total brightness. I never leave the lights on if we are not under the awning either. If I wanted all that light, I would not go out into the woods.

Amarada, sandreas and rescamilla like this.
  15. mandolinpicker

mandolinpicker Member

Anyone who has been involved in emergency services has seen this playing out for years. What started out as a single red flashing light on top of the fire truck became two flashing lights on the police car. Then you upgraded to the rotating beacon and if one was good, two were better. Let's not forget light bars and wig-wag headlamps. Then there was the smaller lights - fireballs or Kojak lights, that ambulances started putting on the front of the cab. If the town next door had a squad with 12 lights, our next ladder truck would need at least 16! The only thing that slowed down the light accumulation was the alternator and how much power it could supply to these power hungry incandescent and halogen bulbs. Now with the small, high intensity LEDs the sky is the limit. Anyplace you can stick an LED bulb on an emergency vehicle it will be there flashing. And not just flashing but flashing in multiple patterns. There is just something about lights that fascinates the human eye! :police::police::):):):):)

rescamilla likes this.
  16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Alas it is not just the new folks these days. I have seen campers with their exterior lights on for years. It used to be that everyone had an amber porch light, and it wasn't super bright and you could live with it. Over the last 5-10 years though LEDs have taken off. Now every trailer has accent lights under the awning, under the body, at the steps, and often on the nose/tail and opposite side, and they are not low intensity either. With a TT most people don't even notice how bright their lights are, since they retire inside and the brightness doesn't bleed through the windows near as much as a pup experiences.

Same thing with lanterns - the basic Coleman gas lantern did a fine job, but wasn't super bright. Now there are Northstar lanterns that are roughly twice as bright (I know, I have a couple myself), but the LED lanterns have really taken off. Now you can use a lantern with 2-3 times the brightness of a Northstar, let it run all night and recharge during the day. I have even seen tent campers set up construction worklights to light up their campsite at a state park - talk about bright!

campfire Joe likes this.
  17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I usally have a talk with the nebibours that leaves the light on all night. Unfortunately i have had to do it multiple times now. Its not too bothersome in the new TT but in the pup it was miserable!

18. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Coleman lanterns put out a good amount of light but it isn't objectionable. LED lanterns tend to just be HARSH. I love LEDs and what they give us but I still bring my gas lantern.

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

For our Coleman lanterns, we have the reflector, so most of the light stays inside in our own site. (Assuming the campground layout cooperates.) we’re seldom out long enough after dark to use them anymore, though.
    I have a couple of plastic bottles that I use with solar LED strings on some places. One gets tucked under the edge of the trailer, next to the steps, for safety after dark. The other is used if I need to mark a hazard or better mark the campsite if I’ll be returning after dark. I painted one jar because the light string was too bright when it was clear.
    We have been in some places where lights under campers are rodent deterrents. (After having a squirrel eat ignition wires in our truck at home, I understand the desire to prevent damage,) Usually the people doing that have the light strings under the camper, not lighting up the site. We have seen enough of bright sites though, in many places, power available or not.

rescamilla likes this.
  20. Maggi Bailey

Maggi Bailey New Member

Most places we have camped have pretty great tree coverage between sites which is amazing, and until very recently we were in tent only loops which are the best for darkness.

rescamilla likes this.