14 occupied sites in loop, 10 are brand new campers.

Jul 27, 2017
Oxford, Alabama
I think the main issue, which has gotten much worse in recent years ... Running generators all night is absolutely unacceptable, but we see it all over the place. That is not a "newbie" mistake, it is just selfishness.

Nah, this stuff isn't new. In fact, 2004 was the first year we had our new "pup" and took it to Nashville. Finishing our honeymoon that we never got to finish 25 years earlier. For several mornings both the wife and I woke up with headaches, couldn't figure out why. On the third night I woke up at 2 am to go to the bathroom. Generator running next door. Apparently turned it on late at night after we had went to bed. Exhaust pointed right at our camper. Knocked on the door and told the owner to turn it off or I was calling the cops. He left the next day. As you can see that was 16 years ago, so this has been going on for quite some time.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
I think they have not figured out that you can cancel a reservation within a day and get some of your money back.

Reading the reservation rules I can see were someone would think you forfeit all if you cancel within a few days of the date in.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
Today I was passed on the PA turnpike by 3 new 30' plus travel trailers all in a caravan with Ohio plates heading east. I was doing 80 mph in my work truck and they went flying by, had to be 90-95. The rear one had a large rear window and I could see the guys wife and a couple kids riding in the trailer. Hope they made it to the destination.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
how far will my site be from yours Saturday night? I need to make sure I install enough lights today to be easily seen from your site.

sadly this doesn’t surprise me as the whole lighting thing is being promoted by both manufacturers and dealers. “Look how many more lights we have compared to them”

Your down the road in the trailer park looking section where the banjos play lol.

RockyRoo

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD
Jun 8, 2012
Your down the road in the trailer park looking section where the banjos play lol.

Sweet, I love the soothing sound of a couple banjo’s playing in the distance. [Guitar]

But seriously, I need to know where to bring the peach cobbler when it’s done. [CK][:D]

RockyRoo

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD
Jun 8, 2012
As for all the rest of this stuff, I guarantee if I get one freaking moron try to wander thru my site this year, and we have 4 trips left, I will lose my **** and I don’t care who sees it. It’s not the inexperience or the grumpy old people that are the problem, it is the plain rudeness and inconsiderate behavior that seems to be acceptable these days that is the problem. I love to have people stop by to visit and chat, ask questions or make comments about my setup, whatever. But when they just wander thru my site like we aren’t even there and like it’s part of a public road and then on top of that complain about something, even how my dogs who are minding their own business on their own site might have looked at them sideways, you better be ready for what is about to be unleashed on you, up to and including my dogs, that may well lick you to death but if you came on my site uninvited then you get what you have coming.

Old_Geezer

Super Active Member
Sep 29, 2009
Southwest PA
As for all the rest of this stuff, I guarantee if I get one freaking moron try to wander thru my site this year, and we have 4 trips left, I will lose my **** and I don’t care who sees it. It’s not the inexperience or the grumpy old people that are the problem, it is the plain rudeness and inconsiderate behavior that seems to be acceptable these days that is the problem. I love to have people stop by to visit and chat, ask questions or make comments about my setup, whatever. But when they just wander thru my site like we aren’t even there and like it’s part of a public road and then on top of that complain about something, even how my dogs who are minding their own business on their own site might have looked at them sideways, you better be ready for what is about to be unleashed on you, up to and including my dogs, that may well lick you to death but if you came on my site uninvited then you get what you have coming.

Holy cow lol.....look what I've done!!!!!
Muhahahahahahaha
W2mEtNVl.jpg

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
...The rear one had a large rear window and I could see the guys wife and a couple kids riding in the trailer. Hope they made it to the destination.

I know riding in the trailer is legal in some states, but it's still incredibly stupid.

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Fortunately, we haven't had to deal with many of the "issues" mentioned in this thread.

We were at a campground near Branson last year. A couple sites down looked like an airport with red and blue string lights all over the place. I don't understand it, but it did look kinda cool.

We have an amber porch light near the door but it seems to attract bug so we don't use it often. I have several Coleman gas lanterns. I like to light one or two in the evening. It's as much of a nostalgia thing as for light.

bookooc

Feb 18, 2010
North Georgia
How nice that would be. Probably would go in one ear and out the other.

Some longtime hosts, who are about the nicest folks you'll ever meet, told me they are seriously considering not returning next uear due to the number of total jerks they have had to deal with during the 2020 season. They have never seen anything like it in 18 years of hosting at state parks. The top two complaints are weak cell coverage / no wifi and no OTA TV signal. Not sure how a campground host solves those issues lol,but its important enough for some of these clowns to go beating on the hosts door at 10 PM at night.

They also mentioned the more than a few folks who do not understand leash rules or what a poop bag is used for, and the amounts of trash left behind they have to clean up. I believe they have a good baseline to compare the difference from prior years.

With any luck, this covid nightmare will end, and there will be a surplus of lightly used RVs on the market. That's when I swoop in to take advantage of the depressed resale values.
Can't wait.

Last edited:

M in a pop up

Aug 30, 2020
Old_Geezer:

This is so sad! I'm sorry. Hopefully the weather will hold out long enough for you to enjoy a few more trips. Those newbies should retire for winter soon....i hope....

tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
We replaced our amber porch light with a new amber porch light, but it has a motion sensor. Nice when you get back after dark.

We got the morons driving by and a few stopping, including getting out and walking through our CS to see the lake. We are out camping is a small state park with only 2 outstanding CS's for 5 nights. The rest of the CS's are below or average. We got one site with small beach to lunch kayaks sitting up on a bluff and stone steps to the beach.

BigAl

Gold Supporting Member
May 22, 2019
Wisconsin
I just got back from a week camping at Big Lake in AZ. No electric, but I kept a single, small battery operated, light bulb shaped bulb burning overnight in the canopy area of my motorcycle tent camper. It was there because the wife gets a bit claustrophobic in complete darkness. It couldn't have been brighter than the standard 7 watt night light bulb and takes 3 AAA batteries. Wondering if that's something that would be considered offensive?

I can't speak for everyone, but a 7 watt bulb wouldn't bother me at all.

tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
It would not bother me either. It's when the neighbor's light is bright enough to take away my night vision and ability to see a sky full of stars.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I think they have not figured out that you can cancel a reservation within a day and get some of your money back.

Reading the reservation rules I can see were someone would think you forfeit all if you cancel within a few days of the date in.

Depends on the campground. Where we camp over the 4th, reservations open up 90 days prior to the date you start your reservation. So some people will book from June 30 through July 5 and only occupy the site from, say, July 3-5. The campground won't let you shorten a reservation without cancelling and rebooking, so often the only way to get a site is to play that game and just show up late. It's only like $20 a night anyway.

Last edited: