1973 Starcraft Swinger 6 rebuild restoration

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by MDRhoads, Sep 17, 2012.

1. MDRhoads

MDRhoads New Member

Recently traded for a 1973 Starcraft Swinger 6. Guy told me the camper was solid and ready to use. Sad to say, he took me for all I was worth. [:(O] Got it home and went to set it up so I could clean it. Found the roof was rotten and the floor had extensive water damage. Enough water damage that the back two lift post punched thru the floor. So a total rebuild has ensued. Over the past several days I have been in demolition mode. Here are a few pics of what I have done so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Start of demolition:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is where I decided to do a spring over axle flip to give me more clearance and to get some of that bulky wheel well out of the inside of the pup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for more to come!

2. ripopuptwins

ripopuptwins It's All Good

When life hands you lemons...............
    Rock on!

I'm out from Little Rhody.

PEACE !!!!

3. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

I grew up camping in a Starcraft that had a swing out stove. If I ever get a pup again, I would want one just like yours minus the problems of course! Love the interior!!!

4. MDRhoads

MDRhoads New Member

Yea the swing out stove is a unique feature and is the main reason I got it. And that interior is long gone. Lol! Will defiantly be updating it. Stay tuned.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

This is such a cool camper - you are going to be so proud of it when it is finished! I have never seen one with the swing-out like this.

6. Thom

Thom New Member

Nice work! Now the fun starts.....

I think almost every old Starcraft thread (mine included) had the lift arms punch through the floor. I put some small strapping brackets under them to (hopefully) prevent that with my rebuild.

Any big changes planned, or just going to rebuild it back to original?

I'm going to follow this one closely. Excited to see how it turns out.

7. MDRhoads

MDRhoads New Member

I wouldn't say that I will be goin back original but I'm not gonna get crazy either. Just modern updates and I plan on building new cabinets and rearranging the floor plan. Originally the table was at the rear but I'm goin to move it to the front since the last guy cut a hole in for an AC unit

8. MDRhoads

MDRhoads New Member

Got the floor cut this past weekend. Used untreated 5/8 plywood. Coated the bottom side and edges with roofing tar. It acts as a barrier, kind of like bed liner material, but A LOT cheaper. This will keep all the moisture from seeping in and rotting the floor again. Did not secure it yet. Still have to wire the trailer and reinstall my lift cables.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tntimeshare

tntimeshare New Member

Wow! You're having to do a complete rebuild. Good thing you have a nice large barn.

10. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Those are interesting looking rims/wheels. Kind of look like mobile home wheels. No center part, just a doughnut rim on the brake drum. Make sure you leave enough room to get the wheel out of the wheel well (clear the axle)!

Love that swing-out!

11. mboemmels

mboemmels New Member

This is so great! I just got a '75 swinger myself and my family just thinks its the greatest thing ever and wants to go camping asap! problem...I just realized a lot of the wood is starting to rot and probably not safe. I am very handy but had no idea what lurked beneath the shell of this camper and how involved it wuld be repairing it. I have been able to see most things from your pics but if you could throw a few more detail pics it would be much appreciated! I really wanted to extend the tongue somehow and build a light weight rack to carry a kids quad on the front but seeing these pics the frame looks a little flimsy. any ideas since you have it in front of you? great job...will be following your progress!

btw i think a lot of that water damage might have come from AC. might want to close that hole back up and just use a portable unit ducted outside when needed!

12. MDRhoads

MDRhoads New Member

frame is pretty sturdy. 4" c channel on the outsides and 2" running down the insides. If I was to add a spot for a kids quad, extending the neck would not be too bad of a job if you have access to a welder and some c channel. The water damage came from a leaky roof. You could see where the seam had pulled apart and the guy before me just globbed some silicon on it instead of trying to fix it right. Everything around the AC unit was fine. And John thanks for the input. Didn't think about trying to remove the wheel in the future. Better make that hole a lil wider.

13. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Wow, you have a job ahead of you. Looks like you have a great start though. Keep the updates and pictures coming.

14. PupNut

PupNut New Member

Big job there, but looks like big rewards in the long run. Good luck!

I guess I missed the swing out galley option on my 70 and 84 Starcrafts. Lets just say, I am seriously looking at this to go with my modular galley idea in another thread. That is an absolutely cool way to make it an indoor/outdoor kitchen, and much more useful.

I have the same wheel type. He may need a couple more inches, but not much. The open center arrangement means little clearance is needed to get the tire and wheel out of the well once the lugs are off.

My question is about the spring over axle mod. I want to do this so I can get to my tires, and so I can raise the PuP up since I have to do the hill/incline to park mine. I get the bumper scrape if I line it up straight. Is there a thread, document, or website that describes how to do this step by step and gives a generic parts list so I could make this happen?

15. MDRhoads

MDRhoads New Member

The axle flip is very very very easy. No parts were required to do mine. All you have to do is remove the u bolts securing the axle to the springs. Next remove the lower rear leaf spring bolts so the sprin will lower to the ground. Make sure your trailer frame is supported. Jack up the frame and roll your axle to the rear. Flip the u shaped axle bracket from the top of the spring to the bottom so the axle has a place to sit. Reinstall leaf spring bolts. Lift frame high enough to roll axle back under the springs. Reinstall u bolts, with red lock tight and voila! Spring over conversion. Hope this helps.

16. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

So the bracket was not welded to the axle? Hopefully no brakes, I would think the axle would want to spin when brakes are applied if so equipped.

If the axle is "pre-loaded" (has a bend in it), you need to keep the same orientation (bend goes up in the middle). When the weight of the trailer is on the axle, it tends to straighten back out making the wheels look normal/vertical. If you have it the other way around, it will look like a squashed bug, wheels splayed out.

17. MDRhoads

MDRhoads New Member

That I cannot help you with. My axle was straight and I deleted the 1973 trailer brakes. Didnt trust them. I believe My diesel will have no problem stopping that.

18. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Nice camper! Good luck on your rebuild!

19. Evansgr

Evansgr New Member

Good luck with that build, You should have the OP reimburse 50%

20. campyman

campyman New Member

So you just flipped the axle under springs? No other parts / modifications on the suspension?