1974 Jayco Flipper PUP restoration story

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Flipped in NH, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

We wanted a small camper that was light to tow. It is just DH and I and we are minimalists so nothing fancy. We found an ad for this camper on Craigslist but I could find very little information about it online. It apparently didn’t last long. Rather than the standard Jayco front to back bedwings, this one is side to side, with the door in the rear.

We purchased the camper in late Fall with an eye to using it in Spring 2019. It was set up when we responded to the Craigslist ad. We could see that the canvas was in rough shape. The previous, previous owner had tried to replace portions of it and it was done poorly, different color, Velcro to hold to the camper frame, etc. and we could see pin hole light coming through everywhere. So we knew that would need to be replaced. We had previously done some research and felt we could replace the canvas for around $950. On initial inspection, the rest of the camper looked ok. Interior was yellow and orange 70’s themed but I expected to replace all the coverings anyway. So, the deal was made and we towed it home.

Once in our garage, we began looking more closely, mind you we did notice some of these things before purchasing. We found some water-warped paneling, the bedwings had been replaced but were not the same size AND were not attached at all to the frame when setup. They just kind of “sit” on the frame and were raw plywood. The pedestal table “leg” had been replaced by a length of brass pipe which was not the correct diameter and had duct tape wound around it to fit into the floor base and two tension rods placed beside it to “sturdy” the table. The tracks to hang the canvas were broken in several places and would need replacing. The setup cables had all been replaced as were a couple of the expandable corners. It catches a bit when cranking down, but otherwise is quite smooth. Outside, it needs recaulking and a paint job. The top/roof had been done but nothing else. The frame and stabilizers were all in good shape.

What were we thinking? We love a challenge and we love making old new again. o_O
    upload_2019-1-17_13-38-25.jpeg
    upload_2019-1-17_13-27-21.jpeg

Task #1 – Order a new canvas. Because the canvas was in such bad shape, I didn’t feel it would help to send it out so I called Bear Creek Canvas. They were very pleasant and interested in helping us with this unique PUP. I was given instructions on how to do measurements they would need and sent them off along with photos of the PUP without canvas and one I found online of an “original”. They called and asked if we would send the old canvas. We did. Once received, they agreed it was of no use. They were game to make the canvas for us anyway. We did a "test" hanging on the old tracks just to make sure the canvas looked right, and then removed it again.
    upload_2019-1-17_13-28-37.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-33-18.jpeg

Task #2 – Remove the canvas hanging track from the camper. This must have been done once before because it was actually screwed to raw plywood. I’m sure that wasn’t original. Paint needed. So I primed and painted that raw plywood. It’s already starting to look better.

Task #3 – Paint and seal the bedwings. We decided on exterior paint for the underside and interior paint for the inside. The painting was completed but wouldn’t you know, now the rest of the interior just looks “ick”.

Task #4 – Repaint the entire interior of the camper in the same color as the bedwings – yes, I painted over paneling. One coat of primer. Two coats of paint. I removed the stovetop, cooler unit, and sink. Removed the hardware from all drawers and cabinets (which were missing knobs) and used a roller for most of the work. It really only took me about 1 week to finish all the painting. And wow, what a transformation. Even my normally reticent DH remarked on how much nicer it looks. [;)] BUT… now the countertop looks sad, so…

Task #5 – Replace the countertop. This was a fairly easy project. It isn’t very big and we had the materials around the barn. ¾” wood with 3 coats of paint and hard polyurethane over it. I really like how it turned out.

Task #6 - Clean up the appliances before replacing them. They were in pretty good shape but did have some spot rust, here and there which we sanded off and sealed.

Task #7 – Prepare for replacing the canvas, remove the snaps and Velcro around the exterior that had been added for the old canvas repair attempt. Fill all the snap holes to prevent water damage. Add the new canvas track to the top. Hang the canvas! :smiley:

Task #8 – Remake shepherd hooks. The ones that were there weren’t “hooks” just straight pieces of conduit that just pushed into the canvas on the roof! We would have preferred to use conduit but we had enough copper piping and paint in the barn to do the job. DH measured and molded to the correct length and angles, added a receiver plate to the top inside of the camper. I primed and painted them gray.

We took a break here to set it all up and take photos. What a transformation! This is current state - well actually before we attached canvas at the bottom, but you get the idea.
    upload_2019-1-17_13-35-54.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-36-38.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-35-11.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-31-21.jpeg

Task #9 – Clean and recover the cushions and mattresses. All the covers have been removed and taken to the dump. I am planning to use Duck Canvas to recover everything over the winter. I also want to do the Gain detergent clean the cushion method I saw on the portal to remove as much grime and odor as I can from the foam.

Task #10 – Add some sort of “edging” for the plywood edges of the bedwings, and a better way to secure to the camper. Looking at photos of other campers, we think they were probably originally on hinges. We have not yet decided on how to secure them to the camper (other than the braces on the bottom).

Task #11 – Add anti-fatigue matting to the bedwings and memory foam toppers to the mattresses. We have checked and we have a good 6 inches of clearance with the roof down.

Task #12 – Dinette Table. It doesn’t match the interior since we have painted everything. I’m thinking of painting it same color as the interior and adding a painted chess/checkerboard to the top. We will also order the proper support leg for it.
    upload_2019-1-17_13-39-39.jpeg

Task #13 – Paint the Exterior. I’m not sure what we will do here yet.

Task #14 – Check wheel bearings, repack and replace the tires that are on it now (not proper size)

Task #15 – Replace the trailer Jack

Whew! I’m sure there is more we will do, but enough for now. Let’s go camping!!!!
    [NH] [CP]
    upload_2019-1-17_13-27-21.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-28-37.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-31-21.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-33-18.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-34-38.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-35-11.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-35-54.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-36-38.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-38-25.jpeg upload_2019-1-17_13-39-39.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  2. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

Oops - I forgot to post the original color scheme
    upload_2019-1-17_13-46-32.jpeg

arge and PopUpSteve like this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Nice job.

Flipped in NH likes this.
  4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Awesome camper, I like the beds on the sides.

5. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

I love how different the PUP is. I'd love to find a project like that around me.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost to have the canvas done on that unit? Did it end up costing the $950 you expected?

Love the job you did on the interior and how the entrance is in the back of the PUP. Looking forward to seeing the pictures when you have all the cushions recovered and a new exterior paint job. I'd have to keep it semi retro for sure.

6. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

This is really cool.

7. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Lookin' good! What's that interior color? Off-white? It's close to perfect in my opinion. I might have to use it when I remodel the Starflyer.

OTOH, that 70s checkerboard pattern is pretty awesome…

8. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

Looking at it folded out, it explains why the camper was a limited model. Most camp grounds are setup for long trailers and not that wide. Likely a lot of people complained during the initial release, so the company spun the design 90 degrees to meet everyone's needs.

Remodel looks great.

9. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

Thanks! We ended doing more than we originally intended. Once the new canvas was hung, we just had to update the interior. Yes, the canvas was $950. We also like the entrance in the back. Some have been concerned about campsites being able to accommodate it because of the side wings, but honestly, the box is so small, that it really doesn't take up much room and it is very light weight and maneuverable by hand. On top of that, we generally choose more boondocking type locations rather than campgrounds with amenities, so it's all good.

Retro... yeah, I keep going back and forth with that. I was going to do a black and white theme for the cushions too, but I think I want some color. So haven't settled on anything yet.

10. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

That's possible although if that is the case, it didn't end up in Jayco's history of campers. There is actually very little information available about the model. Most of what I have found is from Australia where there seem to be more of them.

11. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

Thanks! The color is "eggshell" so yes, off-white. orange... nope, I'm not a fan. I haven't decided on replacement yet.

12. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

Looking for recommendations for upholstery fabric sources. I’m looking for a bargain.

13. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

6E3F51BD-B7FD-47B4-A12E-F27FCB8288E5.jpeg 3C921533-036F-4E85-8926-D928DDE21A24.jpeg

Task #9 – Clean and recover the cushions and mattresses. All the covers have been removed and taken to the dump. I am planning to use Duck Canvas to recover everything over the winter. I also want to do the Gain detergent clean the cushion method I saw on the portal to remove as much grime and odor as I can from the foam.

Task #11 – Add anti-fatigue matting to the bedwings and memory foam toppers to the mattresses. We have checked and we have a good 6 inches of clearance with the roof down.

Task #9 progressing nicely. I have cleaned the dinette cushions in the bath tub using laundry detergent. They didn’t look that bad to start but took two washes before the water wasn’t black! Glad I decided to do it.

I am really cheap and didn’t like the prices for duck canvas. I found some heavy cotton draperies at Ocean State Job Lots that worked perfectly. The color is kind of retro but a little more out style. One Saturday of sewing and the 4 dinette cushions are done for $16

Task #11 We also got foam floor squares for under the mattresses on the bunkends for “free”. Crazy Deal gift card for same amount as we paid for the squares.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  14. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

Finished task #9. After the dinette cushions, I tackled the mattresses. I washed the foam the same way in the tub. It was a little more difficult because they are so big but definitely doable. I added 2” gel infused memory foam to the mattress and “encased” that with a 600 thread count sheet, seeing it closed. It is s burgundy color which matches the print in the cushions.

Task 14 is half done. Wheel bearings were repacked but tires and wheels didn’t get changed before our shakedown trip because I ordered the wrong wheels!

I really need to remember to take photos when we have it set up.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  15. CasaBlanca

CasaBlanca New Member

This looks awesome and I appreciate your post. I hope you won't mind answering a couple questions as I am at the beginning stages of our restoration.
    1) Was there a specific benefit to paint the beds?
    2) I have searched for the gain detergent method, but no luck....mind sharing?
    Many thanks!

16. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

The new look is very nice. I'm kind of a fan of the original colors and pattern but totally understand updating it. You have done a good job.

17. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

DH wanted to paint the underside of the beds with exterior paint to protect the plywood. I did the tops to prevent splinters. Same with adding edging to it. No real need.

The Gain detergent method is as I described up post for cleaning the cushions and mattresses. The post that inspired me to do it, the gentleman used Gain detergent and big plastic tubs in his driveway. I used my regular laundry detergent and my bathtub.

18. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

Thanks. We only got out 3 times this year but slept very well and were pleased with our updates.