1976 Starcraft Starmaster 6 Lift cable replacment.

Sparky_55

Jun 25, 2020
This has probably been beat to death by now, but I want to replace the lift cables on my pop up before anything else breaks. I have already found replacement pulley wheels. Home depot sliding door wheels, metal ,with ball bearings. Slightly bigger than the original wheels but I'm not afraid of modifying the pulley mounts. Already done a couple. No more plastic wheels that lock up and burn through the cable. Now I am on to the cables. My main question is: am I better off making my own? And if so how long should each cable be? In theory if I can pre-make them than I can be ready to replace them immediately once the weather gets better. Or should I just buy the cables premade? Thanks!

Sparky_55

Jun 25, 2020
I guess it is probably also worth mentioning that I already have access to aircraft grade cable of the right diameter. I replaced one cable in a pinch with this and it has worked fine. I'd like to replace all four so when they stretch they do so at the same time. The original cables have been butchered up and spliced together with those U bolt things. all four turnbuckles on the whiffletree are all set at different lengths to compensate and it still doesn't really come up level.

Sparky_55

Jun 25, 2020
I am really on the fence as to whether or not I should order pre made canoes or make my own. I don’t currently have a swaging tool at 50 bucks it is almost as much as just buying cables already made on eBay.

Sparky_55

Jun 25, 2020
Well after some thought and a talk with some friends I think I am going to purchase the tool and make my own. Which brings me to my next question. If I remove a cable to copy, should I make it exactly the same length or should I make it an inch or so shorter to accommodate for the stretching that will occur over the life of the cable?