1976 Stardust Swinger

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by DCross79, Jul 26, 2018.

1. DCross79

DCross79 New Member

Picked this up last weekend, it's our first trailer. Needs a fair bit of work, but I think it's in decent shape overall.
    [​IMG]

The roof is in decent shape
    [​IMG]

Pretty sure I'll need to strip off the caulk/silicone and put on new
    [​IMG]

I'd like to replace the latches, or maybe just clr and then spray paint them?
    [​IMG]

underneath
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back bumper
    [​IMG]

I love the original decals
    [​IMG]

I think this is for the fridge? Or the furnace? Or both? Anyone know?
    [​IMG]

There's a bit of curling at the front here in one spot
    [​IMG]

And right here needs to be tightened up with a longer screw - the wood underneath looks ok
    [​IMG]

No noticeable rot inside. All original cushions, cabinetry, etc. Canvas is not moldy or rotting, but there are some tears. Plastic in windows and screens need replacing. Bunks slide in and out just fine. Cables in good shape. Brake, marker, and signal lights work.

I'm going to open it up again this weekend, give it a deep cleaning and take inventory. I know I need to repair the canvas, and I want to paint the cabinets, replace the cushions, and maybe update the floor? Sticking with the retro theme though. I love the bright green table and counter tops inside :)

Orchid, jnc and Joe Brokenbourgh like this.
  2. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

Looks pretty solid, all the best with the project.

3. 79venture

79venture Member

Welcome from Detroit! A fellow swinger. I just picked up a 1979 Venture Camelot with the swingout kitchen. I think we have some similar projects in mind.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove the table from the inside. Any suggestions?

Also, what do your stabilizers look like?

4. DCross79

DCross79 New Member

Stabilizers pull out then down. You can see one in the pic of the bottom.

As for the table, the seller showed me. If I remember right, the leg folds and you just lift it out? I found an original manual (on here I think?) which I'll check if I have trouble.

I bought it Sunday night, towed it home, and haven't had a chance to do anything because of work. I can't wait for the weekend!

5. 79venture

79venture Member

DCross79,

Thanks for the reply! Looks like our pups are very similar. Friday can’t go by fast enough :)

I read both Venture and Starcraft manuals for table and stabilizers. Pretty basic write up for both.

Will give the dinette table another go by lifting up. As for the stabs I feel that there is too much slack between the footprint and the ground. Plus, not enough adjustment to firmly plant the stab (of course without lifting the frame a no-no).

6. DCross79

DCross79 New Member

Today I opened it up, gave it a good cleaning, taped the couple holes in the canvas (too lazy to stitch it right now), and assessed things. I'm really pleased with the condition. No significant rot. Very minor water damage on the floor in the back passenger side corner (just staining). I do see I have the issue people talk about with the corner poles pushing down through the floor. It still works, I have no idea how to reinforce it to stop that worsening. The canvas is miraculously not moldy, and there's only a couple of holes. I taped them rather than sewed them up because it's bloody hot out and I'm lazy lol. I still need to test the electrical and the propane.

Photos of the inside:

Munchkins at the table
    [​IMG]

Kitchen inside
    [​IMG]

Kitchen outside
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fridge and storage
    [​IMG]

Photos of the outside setup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have no idea when I'm actually going to get to renovating. Hopefully I'll have a chance this summer. My main plan is to paint, update the curtains, and update the cushions.

Lucy FJ55, hq308 and Joe Brokenbourgh like this.
  7. DCross79

DCross79 New Member

I struggled a bit with the stabilizers, they were pretty stiff. I ended up re-reading some directions on here, then used the tool that goes with them and just ratcheted. It felt like I was going too far and it was going to break something, but it didn't.

My table was easy, it doesn't attach. It's just a slab that rests on an edge of wood on the bunk side, and the table leg folds down and holds up the other end. To take it off, I just lift it and fold the leg under.

Sorry I'm not more help.

79venture likes this.
  8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Looks great! Btw that original pic was the back of the Fridge in case you hadn’t already figure that out.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Looks pretty good for it's age so you now have what every man needs, A project to keep him out of trouble. Good Luck with the project and happy Camping

79venture likes this.
  10. 79venture

79venture Member

Thank you!

11. CampermanDan

CampermanDan Member

I really dig that swing out kitchen. I'm renovating an '84 Coleman and enjoy seeing the projects other folks are working on. Overall your rig looks pretty good. Enjoy.

Dan

12. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

We owned a 73 that was exactly like your swinger. My FIL bought it new and then sold it to me and his daughter in 88. They are solid units that with a little TLC will last forever. Enjoy!

79venture likes this.