1977 Aussie Jayco Jaydove

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by hq308, Aug 4, 2019.

1. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Last year my wife & I bought and restored our first camper ( http://popupportal.com/threads/1978-unknown-make-pop-up-camper.116372/ ) but found the 8ft long box a little small for our growing family. We decided earlier this year to get a bigger camper and found this 1977 Jayco Jaydove for the right price. Drove 2 and half hours to pick it up over the weekend. It's already had quite a bit of work done to it and could be camped in as is but typical of me I have a list of things I want to do to it which I'll document in this thread as I go.

IMG_4001.JPG IMG_4004.JPG IMG_4003.JPG IMG_4002.JPG

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Hey, you put the door on the wrong side. [LOL][LOL][LOL][LOL][LOL]

Just kidding. Look great. Good job.

Squeeker and hq308 like this.
  3. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

Looks great, I wish my door was on the wrong side[A]

hq308 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I love all that counter space, but don’t think I would like it in front of the bunk like that. Unless that’s the kids end. They don’t seem to mind to climb as much as me. :).

hq308 likes this.
  5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I wonder if that cabinet in front of the bunk is stock. I would remove it.

hq308 likes this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Really nice looking unit, doesn't look like there is much to do to it other than the job of "making it your own" I hope y'all have lots of adventures in the future with it. Good Luck and happy Camping

hq308 likes this.
  7. hq308

hq308 Active Member

According to the PO the cabinet has been made wider, where the door is on the right there was originally just a step. It's probably a little inconvenient to climb over but the extra storage is nice so I think it will stay. I'm thinking about doing an extension to the bed similar to my old trailer which would bring the bed out over the counter at night time anyway.

There's not a lot that "needs" to be done before we can camp in it, mainly just a few minor repairs to the canvas where the stitching has started to come apart and add a battery as we dry camp mostly. It also sits a little low on our TV so I plan to get some new wheels and tyres in a larger size and the bunks have a little sag in them so will likely make some new ones. I also have a bunch of little ideas for mods that I'll work on over time. Just need to move on the old camper and find some spare time to get started.

I did manage to find time to do one small job over the weekend, when the PO was showing me the trailer and how to use it he broke the handle off the roof vent. A small piece of aluminium (aluminum) and ten minutes on the lathe sorted that out. IMG_4006.JPG IMG_4007.JPG

It has this cool old badge on the side too that some might find interesting.

IMG_4020.JPG

8. hq308

hq308 Active Member

So the old camper has been moved on to new owners and I've found some time to knock over a couple of small jobs.
    First cab off the rank was new wheels and tires.
    IMG_4061.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4068.JPG

Still need to get some new lug nuts and centre caps to finish it off.

Next job was to replace the original rear lights for some basic LED ones
    IMG_4070.JPG

I was also looking at the original roof lights that the PO converted from mains to 12v LED and thinking they look a little dated.
    IMG_4072.JPG

I came up with the idea of replacing the glass bowl with some white pexiglass. I rough cut a piece on the bandsaw to test my theory. Not 100% sold on it yet but curious to know what others think off it? I'll most likely repaint the outer rim of the light too.
    IMG_4071.JPG

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Great looking camper!

hq308 likes this.
  10. hq308

hq308 Active Member

OK so I haven't done a lot to the camper so far. I've been mostly collecting some stuff for it and making plans for the re-build. I had a little time over the weekend so I opened up the camper and started hand stitching some of the seams that have started to come apart, it's a slow time consuming process but it should get me a few more years use out of the canvas. After a couple of hours of stitching I decided to have a break and tackled a couple of small jobs. While I was at it I had another look at the interior lights. I removed the one I started modifying and painted the outer rim satin black. Quite happy with how it turned out.
    IMG_4105.JPG

Squeeker likes this.
  11. hq308

hq308 Active Member

I fitted an access door to access the area under one side of the dinette, this will give me some storage for things like the winder, leveller, jack, lug nut wrench etc without needing to open up the camper.
    IMG_4119.JPG
    IMG_4120.JPG
    IMG_4121.JPG

I also decided to fit my battery and cut off switch in the same compartment for easy access.
    IMG_4123.JPG

neighbormike likes this.
  12. hq308

hq308 Active Member

The mattresses supplied with the camper are pretty much brand new but they are too thick to leave on the bunk when closing the camper. The PO's solution was to jam them in the void in the middle of the camper standing up which was messy and took up all the storage room. I wasn't a big fan of the loose fitting covers either. My solution was to cut the foam down the middle and sew up a hinged cover so I could store one mattress on top of the dinette and the other will store flat on the floor. Pretty happy with how they turned out.

This is what I started with.
    IMG_4126.JPG

The new cover, the line down the middle is where the "hinge"is
    IMG_4127.JPG

Folded in half on top of the dinette
    IMG_4128.JPG

And with the bunk slid back into the camper
    IMG_4132.JPG

The other issue I had was the PO built the seats for the dinette a little narrower than original and didn't put in supports for the table in the down position so I got a little creative. I machined up and fitted brackets to each side (braced from behind to take the weight) and cut a piece of tube to hold the weight of the table.
    IMG_4131.JPG
    IMG_4130.JPG
    IMG_4129.JPG

Still need to clean up the brackets and paint the tube to finish it off.

neighbormike likes this.
  13. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Looks great! I eventually want to put an access door on my Starflyer for the same reasons you mentioned—where did you get it?

hq308 likes this.
  14. hq308

hq308 Active Member

My brother in law repairs caravans (travel trailers) and had it left over from a job where he'd replaced it with a bigger one. You should be able to find them easy enough on Ebay or Amazon, I found a bunch of them on Ebay (Australia) by searching "caravan access door", I guess in the US it would be "travel trailer access door"? "trailer access door" comes up with plenty of options on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=trailer+access+door&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

FARfetched likes this.
  15. starcraft

starcraft Member

Nice camper.

hq308 likes this.
  16. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Progress is slow but I've been slowly ticking a few things off the list. The plan was to do an overnighter between xmas and new year to test it out and see how our new pup (dog) handles camping. At this stage our plans are up in the air because we've had a horror start to summer and there is currently multiple large bushfires (forest fires) in the areas surrounding Sydney. One of them is currently burning very close to the camp ground we were planning to go to and is most likely going to go through it in the next 24 hrs.

Anyway back to the progress. I've been working on the 12v system, adding a battery and tidying up the existing wiring. I added some extra wiring up to the roof to add fans and bed lights and wasn't overly happy with the existing wiring going from the bench to the tent so I pulled it out and added a nice braided sleeve to tidy it up.
    IMG_4133.JPG

While I was at it I added an Anderson plug to the drawbar to plug in my solar panels.

IMG_4147.JPG

17. hq308

hq308 Active Member

I also got around to making a cover for the other mattress, they now fit nicely in the galley.

IMG_4156.JPG

I added rails front and rear for bed end flies and a rail on the kitchen side for a small awning.

IMG_4145.JPG

I got some bed end flies and my good buddy @DR Stitch H.D sewed up a nice canvas tarp for the kitchen side.

IMG_4183.JPG
    IMG_4178.JPG

Another way of setting the kitchen side tarp if there's not enough room to set the whole tarp out or for a bit of extra weather protection for the kitchen windows. Need to get a spreader bar to make it work a little better.
    IMG_4185.JPG

neighbormike likes this.
  18. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

Great thread. It looks so modern inside - ours is an '83 Jayswan in original retro glory (only the canvas replaced). Was it difficult adding the access panel? That'd be quite handy. Next time you've got it up I'd love some photos of your door if you don't mind - ours is slightly beaten up, it'd be really interesting to compare.

19. hq308

hq308 Active Member

It was fairly straight forward to add the access door, it was just a matter of cutting a hole in the inner and outer skin (after making sure there was nothing in between), framing out the hole and then fitting the door.

I'd be happy to take some photos of the door, anything in particular you want to see? I'm not 100% sure how original my door/setup is though.

Koalavan likes this.
  20. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

Thank you, it was mainly me wanting to compare to ours so I can see if there's anything different/missing/broken on ours. [8D] You mentioned on one of my posts that the PO added a latch to hold the top and bottom of the door together.

hq308 likes this.