1977 Palomino - BEGINNING THE RESTORATION

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by ammcf, Aug 10, 2011.

1. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

Great progress!! Keep up the good work!

2. mikeam7750

mikeam7750 New Member

I am amazed at how similar our campers are damaged. I'm working on a 1981 MXL. Where the roof was not salvageable. I just finished the rear of the camper where the bed pulls out and caused the camper to separate. My canvas is good except for the screens. I'm really excited to see you finish and help fix my problems that I have not run into yet. Keep up the great work and I hope you don't mind me stealing your ideas [:D]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ammcf

ammcf New Member

TJWAGERS - Wow... it is amazing how similar the Pups look. Feel free to steal anything that helps. I've got a feeling you're gonna' have a tougher time of it trying to rebuilt a roof (on second thought, that might be easier than what I had to do). I'd just suggest you measure 5 times before you cut. From my experience the roof has to be exact in order to fit with the lift arms.

I'm kinda in a holding pattern right now... trying to figure out where the funds for the next steps are coming from. Hopefully in the next week or two I'll started working on the screen replacements (I'm really scared to do that on my own, but have no choice financially), and the marker lights. And if I can find some affordable flooring, I'll be doing that soon too (hopefully).

Blessings!

4. mikeam7750

mikeam7750 New Member

Do you have the outer dimensions of your roof compared to your PUP? To me it looks like there is a 1" difference.

5. mikeam7750

mikeam7750 New Member

This is what my rear corner looked like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ammcf

ammcf New Member

Your corner(s) seem more damaged than mine were. I only repaired one of them, and didn't absolutely need to repair the side boards (though I could have). Looks like you'll have to at least repair the end of the side board.

I don't have the dimensions of the roof handy... but next time I'm at the shop I'll measure and get them to you.

7. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

ammcf I think you had my post confused with mikeam7750's...but yes they are pretty similar.

mikeam7750...are you sure your roof isn't salvageable? you might just be able to replace the sideboards in it. (unless there's more damage that you're not showing in the pictures)

oh and just for comparisons sake...here's my pup again(note that with mine the door is behind the axle):
    [​IMG]

8. mikeam7750

mikeam7750 New Member

The wood that ran the perimeter of the roof was all rotted out along with the sidewalls, And there were a few holes in the outher skin. I just separated the whole roof, patched the holes and will reskin the new roof with the old metal. I really wanted to save it but it would have been more work than just rebuilding it. On another note, does anyone have video or know of a video of someone setting up an EZ wall? I have never seen it done and would like to have an idea of what to expect my first time.

9. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Great job on the rebuild! I haven't been on here in a few months...did major surgery several times on my TXL so I know your pain. We moved to a TT last summer and sold the Palomino.

One big note of caution. I noticed the new eyebolts on the bottom lift "pipes". These are most-likely not strong enough. I snapped two or three of these turned eyes, and a couple heavy-duty forged eyes in my adventures. It's dangerous as pieces go shooting off and you can potentially snap more hinges. My solution was to use four 10-12" pieces of chain that wraps the under camper bars where the eyebolts went. These chains pivot as the camper goes up and down and make tension adjustments easy, and they won't break! J have pictures in my Webshots...can't easily add one to my post on the iPhone.

However you end up, when the camper is "up", you should have almost no tension on the springs.

Good luck with the rest of the rebuild. I'll try to keep an eye on updates; feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Trying to link a picture-[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ammcf

ammcf New Member

DUPREET - THANK YOU for those pictures! In fact, I DID snap one of the eyebolts when I first put it back up after getting it all repaired. Never thought of this sort of solution, and it makes perfect sense. Is there any sense in which you need something to keep the chains from sliding side-to-side along the pipe, or does the tension do that on its own?

11. dupreet

dupreet New Member

The chains were on there 3-4 years and never shifted. I have some other repairs and mods in my Webshots you might be interested in, including the brightest paint job in the land!

12. ammcf

ammcf New Member

Re: 1977 Palomino - More work 3/10/12

Haven't done much work lately cause my son got married (busy getting ready for that). But today I got out to work on it...

Replaced all the marker lights...

These are the ones I put on...
    [​IMG]

I did what someone on this forum suggested and put little "pig tails" on for the ground wire... front and back pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I put the lovely butyl tape on the backs of all of them.
    [​IMG]

Then I mounted them
    [​IMG]

Here's the finished product!
    [​IMG]

The entire back side
    [​IMG]

I also got all my slider hardware back on, so I got the bed sliders put back in
    [​IMG]

I also got the problem fixed with the lift system... using the chains as was suggested previously in this thread (thanks for the idea). It works great... BUT I forgot to take a picture!

That's all for now!

13. ammcf

ammcf New Member

Update 3-24-12

My buddy needs his shop space back, so I had to get a lot of stuff done to get the PUP out of his shop. So... here's what I did today...

Got the chains connected at the bottom of the lift arms
    [​IMG]

Got the one inside light installed on the board that serves as a brace for the balls (latches at the top... my board is thinner than the original... and I plan on adding more lights inside someplace.
    [​IMG]

Got the trim put around the roof vent
    [​IMG]

Got it out of the shop!
    [​IMG]

Major projects left to do...
    • Get the screen in the canvas replaced
    • Get the tongue cut out and rewelded (bent)
    • Get the linoleum replaced
    • Get the batteries & propane tank mounted
    • Get a new fresh water tank
    Not sure where the $$ will come from for these... but I'm plugging away!

14. volkster

volkster Member

Just did a roof sidewall replacement today on my 88 Palomino hardside. I have really appreciated your taking time to take pics and put them up. Without your posts, I probably couldn't get things like that done in one day, but I only get one day off a week, and we're going camping in 2 weeks, so it needed to get done!

15. ammcf

ammcf New Member

volkster - glad it has helped! I'm still waiting on funds to get my screens redone, and the trailer hitch re-welded.... we'll see!

16. volkster

volkster Member

I'm thinking I want to extend the tongue on mine, and my screens are a mess! So I'm still hoping to learn from your experiences! I think I can get my dad to help with the welding and my mother-in-law sews... We'll see.

I'm really annoyed that I can't get into the trailer without popping it up... haven't found a solution for that one yet.

17. babar

babar Don't throw effort after foolishness

Must... see... more... [MOD] <bump>

18. ammcf

ammcf New Member

Babar - don't have much else to show, as I haven't done any more work. Waiting on funds to show up!

But here's the latest "finds"...

1. Found an upholstery guy who will do the screens for $150 or less
    2. Found a friend who welds and might do the trailer tongue job for free
    3. Found 3 full boxes of laminate flooring that looks like it will work in the PUP!
    4. Found that two of my marker lights don't work (must have miswired something)
    5. Found that when I nailed in the trim around the skylight vent, I nailed right through the roof! (oops) Didn't even THINK about that. I put silicone on it for now, but will probably have to get some more of the eternabond tape to totally waterproof those holes!

That's the latest... besides a family hike up to the top of Mt. Elbert (highest mtn in Colorado).
    [​IMG]

AND having lost around 50 pounds since I first started this project (it was on purpose!)

God's best to all my fellow PUP-ers!

19. ammcf

ammcf New Member

I've not been able to post in a very long time due to lack of funds... but praise the LORD I'm back at it!

Here's the latest...

THE TRAILER TONGUE

You may recall the bent tongue on my PUP... photo below:

[​IMG]

My son has a friend who is a great welder and has agreed to do the job for me for the cost of supplies! YEAH!!!!

So, I'm planning on an addition to the front end that looks something like this...

[​IMG]

THE SCREENS

Found a local upholstery guy who says if I take out the screens (done) he'll sew in new screens for $125.00 - no brainer. Doing it next week.

THE INTERIOR

I was cleaning out a vacated rental for a Realtor buddy of mine and found these... (glueless laminate wood flooring). A buddy of mine did this in his PUP and it looks great! It will be much nicer than the orange vinyl flooring!

[​IMG]

SNAPS

The canvas on my PUP is held to the fold-up walls by Velcro, which is shot and doesn't seem to be the smartest thing to me anyway. So... I'm putting in some of these to make sure they stay secured (snaps)... I should be ordering them next week.

[​IMG]

LIFT SYSTEM

My old springs are not as strong as they used to be. I could by new ones but I still don't like the overall way this system works (don't trust the springs to be strong enough). So... I'm gonna' build me one of these... the guy says it cost him less than $100 so I might as well try it.

http://youtu.be/2G6Ctj3NcTI

REMAINING ISSUES:

Once all this is done the PUP will be useable, but I'll still need...
    • a water tank - not sure the gallon size. The old one was metal and all rusted and couldn't be read.
    • a couple of new tires - not vital but probably smart

I love the comments and suggestions! Please keep them coming!

20. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Hi,

As a former owner and rebuilder of a Palomino TXL, I have a couple thoughts:

If you are thinking about putting a 3-4' front porch on the frame, it will move your center of gravity substantially. By making the distance from the ball to the trailer axle that much more, your tongue weight will increase a lot, particularly if you load up the porch heavily. You should also strengthen the frame from front to back, at least past the axle. Merely adding the porch and tongue to the front is asking for failure of the stock frame.

In regards to the lift system, a new set of springs will cost under $150 and install in less than an hour. The crankup system in the video is raising a light fiberglass roof and wall panels; there is two-three times the weight on the Palomino. That crank system looked very wobbly and unstable to me.

Good luck with the work. They are cool campers!

Todd