1977 Starcraft Starmaster 8

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Syler, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Syler

Syler New Member

The roof on my 1977 Starmaster is sagging due to snow that I failed to clear off over the winter. I want to fix it by reinforcing the roof with wood cross beams.

Here's a view of the 1" styrofoam being removed: (Styrofoam was glued to roof so this was a pain to remove.)

I thought there would be some cross support beams or something, but there's nothing but styrofoam covered with cardboard.

Here's the ceiling with all of the styrofoam removed:

Here's a dent caused by hail:

Some questions:
    1) I'm thinking of installing wood cross support beams to push the roof back into shape... is that recommended?
    2) How do I accurately get the correct profiles of the cross beams? Since the roof slopes not only from middle to sides, but from middle to front and back, the profiles for each cross beam would be different.
    3) There's some hail damage on the roof... can I just hammer the dents out?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. Syler

Syler New Member

Well, I'm not sure if this was the easy way, but...

I held a 4' level horizontally and then pushed up on the ceiling. Then I measured the gap from the ceiling to the level (~2"). So the roof should have a 2" rise in it.

I then cut a piece of lauan into a triangle, that spanned the width of the camper, with a 2" rise in the center. I used this as a template.
    I used 2x3's and cut them with the help of the lauan template. I figured 4 supports would be enough. I spaced them about 2' apart.

I applied Loctite to secure it to the aluminum ceiling, screwed it to the side 2x2's and then I used a scrap wood piece to hold it in place. I also placed weights on the roof to press it down into the Loctite.

I'm thinking of using lauan as the new ceiling and then probably paint it. But, to get the lauan to fit just right, first I had to remove all the staples in the plastic grooves all around the camper ceiling edge that was previously holding the cardboard ceiling... that was a pain:

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Looks like it will be solid. Hopefully it won't add too much weight and make it difficult to raise the roof. You dont mention using foam board, but I would recommend it to keep the roof from blowing between the supports and to cut down on noise. Good luck!

4. Syler

Syler New Member

Yes, my next step was to add some foamboard and then use lauan for the ceiling. I guess I'll use some roll-on glue to secure the foamboards.

That'll have to wait until after our first snowfall blows through... batten down the hatches for now.

eoleson1 likes this.