1978 unknown make pop up camper

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by hq308, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Nice Job. Love the expanadable bunk that was a great idea

2. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Slowly making progress, A couple of weekends ago I finally got around to painting the rear bumper I made a while back to clean up the back of the camper.
    [​IMG]

arge likes this.
  3. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Then this past weekend we hit a bit of a milestone, when we purchased the trailer the canvas was in good shape except a little shrinkage around the door. One of the zippers had come apart and there was a good 2" gap with the good zip closed. A buddy of mine makes tarps for a living and has his own machine at home so I took the trailer to his place and we pulled the tent.
    [​IMG]

We got some some new canvas which he cut a wider door piece out of and sewed back into the tent with new zips. I chose to use a contrasting colour for the door as new canvas was never going to match the existing faded canvas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that the trailer is functional, just have a few things inside to tidy up before we can go for our first test trip in about 2-3 weeks if all goes to plan.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

That thing is just TOO cool! I love that it's all retro and everything.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Popup Kiwi likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Neat looking unit. You can bet there are very few still around and even fewer that are in the shape yours are in. Good Luck and Happy Camping

6. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

A remarkable transformation!

7. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Thanks for all the kind comments, will hopefully get a bit more done to it over the coming 4 day Easter weekend.

8. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Managed to make a little progress yesterday (Good Friday) despite the summer like 36 degree C (97 F) temperature.

Got the new cut down covers on the new (also cut down) mattresses.
    The smaller front bed. (~ 6' x 4')
    [​IMG]

And the larger extended bunk with both mattresses in place, 6' wide by about 6-1/2' long.
    [​IMG]

gail58 likes this.
  9. hq308

hq308 Active Member

When the temp cooled of a little in the afternoon I also managed to make a little progress on the 12v LED lighting I'm installing in the trailer.

Main interior lighting consists of 3 LED "flouros" and seems to light the interior quite well.
    [​IMG]

Home fabricated step light made from some cheap ebay LED strip lighting.
    [​IMG]

Clip on bunk lights (with inline switch) made from the same ebay strip lights
    [​IMG]

And the switch panel I made to control the lights.
    [​IMG]

gail58, 79venture and jnc like this.
  10. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Very cool! The expandable bed is definitely a newer mod idea around here.

11. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Didn't get a lot done over the weekend, just a few small things. It was up around 100 degrees (F) again.

Mounted and wired a cheap Ebay water pump and mounted a tap on the rear of the trailer for future connection to the outside sink I plan to set up.
    [​IMG]

Made a small compartment in the void in the draw bar, somewhere to keep the trailer wiring (when not being used) and a few bits and pieces like the bolts that secure the uprights when the trailer is open.
    [​IMG]

The hole in the lid is so the vin is still visible. This compartment won't be weather proof.
    [​IMG]

gail58 and Popup Kiwi like this.
  12. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Tested out my 160w portable solar panels, seems to work quite well.

[​IMG]

This is a panel I made up previously (but forgot to post pics) it has a clock, a volt meter, USB, lighter socket and another 12v socket. The switch turns the clock and the volt meter on so they aren't constantly using power when not needed.
    [​IMG]

Tested out the cheap Ebay LED flood light for outside light.
    [​IMG]

13. hq308

hq308 Active Member

I've been doing bits and pieces over the last couple of weeks, pretty much got all the 12v electrics sorted out.

Mounted the LED interior lights, Our camper has no false ceiling to hide stuff so the wiring is there to be seen but it's all covered in black nylon braided covering to neaten it up a little. When my buddy repaired the canvas I had him sew in an extra section to hide the wiring from the roof to the body of the camper.
    [​IMG]

I also installed a 2nd 12v and USB outlet
    [​IMG]

And I wired an Anderson plug from the drawbar to the battery for easy connection to the solar panels. It stores in the compartment on the drawbar when not in use.
    [​IMG]

BelchFire likes this.
  14. hq308

hq308 Active Member

I also gave the top a quick coat of paint and made myself a small awning using a pre-made tarp.
    [​IMG]

So it's pretty much ready to use now, this coming weekend I'll be tidying up a couple of loose ends and loading up the trailer for the following weekend when we'll be doing our first trip with it. It'll just be an overnight camp to see how the trailer works out. It's heading
    towards winter here so this might be our last chance before winter. If all goes well we'll plan a bigger trip for spring.

15. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

That is fantastic! I just love the work you've done and the originality of the whole thing. Great job! :)

hq308 likes this.
  16. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Simply awesome!

hq308 likes this.
  17. hq308

hq308 Active Member

This weekend we did our first camp, the trailer was good for the most part. The main issue we have is the small 10" tyres have very little traction and taking corners at anything much more than 60kph (35mph) on anything other than a perfect road surface saw the trailer sliding around behind the tv. The next job will be changing the hubs and making room under the trailer for bigger wheels and tyres. Set up was easy enough (other than levelling, need to buy or make something for that) and the basic layout worked well for us. The extendable bunk worked a treat but could use a thicker mattress or possibly add a thin topper to what we have. Probably won't get to use it again till next spring (it's late fall here) as it's starting to get to cold. It was a little colder than we were expecting, we were expecting it to get down to about 10C (50F) but the temp got down to 5C (41F) which is probably warmer than when some of you guys go camping but was (IMHO) a little too cold to take our young kids camping in an un-heated trailer.

Here's a few pics.

Ready to go.
    [​IMG]

Camp set up
    [​IMG]

And at night with the 12v lighting I added
    [​IMG]

gail58, Popup Kiwi, jnc and 2 others like this.
  18. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Cold weather camping is probably easier on the kids. I had no problem with it as a kid in the scouts camping. This past January my grandson and I went with he scout troop. The first morning it was 27F and very windy. The second morning it was 24F, but at least the wind was calm. I can still do it, but it's harder now.

hq308 likes this.
  19. hq308

hq308 Active Member

The kids didn't complain much about it other than in the morning just before sunrise because they wanted to get up and go outside. The climate here is similar to southern California. Even during the coldest part of winter it only gets to around -2C (~ 28F) so to be this cold a month out from winter was a bit of a shock. It probably didn't help that we've come out of a very hot summer and (up till last week) a very warm fall. A good portion of summer was well over 100F, the hottest day was 117F.

20. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I'm Happy to see that you got to get out in your Pup before winter sets in on you. Now you will have time to get a Heater or some better Bedding.

hq308 likes this.