1980s Coleman Popup 4 Lug Brakes -- Convert to surge and Replace?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by M-88, Jan 3, 2020.

1. M-88

M-88 Member

I picked up a camper frame a few days ago in order to make it into a utility trailer. I have become quite good at breaking my harbor freight utility trailer.

I still have my 1987 Coleman columbia and it get used all the time, and I never had any issues with bearings or the frame bending if I overloaded it past the 1500 pound GVWR. I think was more a function of the 4.80-8 tires that I have upgraded.

The price was right. From what I can tell it's some sort of 1980s Coleman from the vin tag, but that's all the information that I can get out of it. It has a 4 lug axle, inner bearing is rated for 3000 pounds, outer bearing is rated for 3500. I believe this to be a 2200 pound axle regardless of the bearing weight.

It does have electric brakes on it. Or had. Everything is there physically. Backing plates, adjusters, shoes and the drum/bearing asembly. But the wires have been cut.

I can't find anything specifically for it that would work. Etrailer has smaller drum brake assemblies available, but nothing that seems to be for 4 lug. Right now it has 4 lug hubs and 5.70-8 tires.

I don't want to put a brake controller in my car for just this trailer. And my heavier trailers have surge brakes. Is it possible to cheaply convert to surge brakes with a tongue coupler and then find replacement hydraulic drum parts for it?

Unfortunately it's so old I can't find any part numbers on anything through the rust and scale

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

You are cheaper, faster and a lot less trouble by using the electric brakes

3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

It may still be cheaper to rebuild the electric brakes and add a controller than convert to surge brakes.

I went with these 4 lug 7” hubs when I added brakes to my pup. My axle is a Dexter and the tag says 2,000 lbs, but the bearings match ones listed as 2,200 on etrailer, so it’s possible yours is the same or similar to mine. The only thing is this one uses the same inner and outer bearings, so maybe it won’t fit yours?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs-and-Drums/Dexter-Axle/8-173-16UC3.html

You could also just get a 5 lug hub and get new wheels if the existing tires are old and due for replacement soon.

4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

4 lug axle - your trailer cannot be so heavy that you need e-brakes

5. M-88

M-88 Member

I bet that would work. 44649 is one of the bearings, so the spindle should be able to take it.

Especially for the weight I'm planning on hauling with it. I'll be below the requirement for my state.