1981 Coleman Sun Valley

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by CampCorgi, Dec 4, 2019.

1. CampCorgi

CampCorgi New Member

Well, when I hooked her up and pulled her home, I remarked that she'd be a patchwork of fixes, and that she looked like death warmed over. So... meet Sally (Nightmare Before Christmas).

She was advertised as a 1986 Coleman, but in getting the VIN, she comes up as a 1981. Frankly, I don't really care. Frame is solid, the screens are immaculate, floor and roof are in good shape (one issue with the roof, but I'm going to reseal it anyway). I figure I have until September when I want to take her to the shore, so I have plenty of time to work on 'er.

My first order of business - I'm always cruising Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. One of the hacks I have heard was using foam flooring as a base for under the mattresses. Well, I happened across an ad for this stuff - what do you think? Inch thick, but it's insulation, versus padding. Not sure if that would make a difference. To ME it looks like it would work nicely, but I'm not familiar with the product.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Lot of unit in worse shape have been brought back to life. Good Luck with the project and Happy Camping

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Did you open it up yet?

4. Ironmonger

Ironmonger New Member

Looks like a great buy. Use the heck out of it! How do you scrub up the ABS parts to whiten them up? Anybody know?

5. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Before you buy those pads, check the mattresses in the pup. See if you like them, and if they smell bad. Decide if you’d rather spend money on the insulating pads, or on buying new foam mattresses that are an inch thicker than what is in the pup now. (We love the foam mattress that we bought at Walmart.) https://www.walmart.com/ip/LUCID-5-Gel-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Queen/47903506

Also, check to see if you can lower the roof with the extra inch of mattress/foam.