1982 Jayco Featherlite 4 refresh

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
My canvas will be here next week. I’m looking forward to getting it installed. I do have a question for those who have replaced theirs. At various points around the roof there are screws that go through the canvas to attach it to the side of the roof. How did you get the screws through the canvas? I would think that if I just screwed through the canvas it would just twist. Di you put a hole through the canvas first? If so what did you use to poke a hole through the canvas? Any other way to accomplish this?

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
Well today was the day. Cooler weather, no smoke in the air so it's on! I started on the longest side, then went across the back then down the door side. It's just a fiddly job. I then went inside and "hung" the top. That's where I stopped. I still need to do a little adjusting of the canvas along the top top make sure I got it even, then I will put the screws back on top to hold the canvas in the corners and along the roof edges. Mine has velcro pieces that attach to the roof so that the support bars are covered. I need to fiddle with the door flaps a little more to get it where I want. I'll post more pictures when it is all wrapped up

. DSCF2396.jpg DSCF2397.jpg DSCF2398.jpg

Last edited:

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
Well the canvas is finally installed and the inside is all done. I only have some weatherstripping to figure out around the door and last but not least I need to "flip" the axle. I do see the campfire at the end of the tunnel!
DSCF2399.jpg DSCF2400.jpg DSCF2401.jpg DSCF2402.jpg

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
Just finished up "flipping" the axle. I like the lift but it creates it's own set of problems. First I'm going to need to figure out a new tire size. My current tires are 5.70 x 8. I need to find out if I can go a little wider. I have no room towards the inner side of the well but I have room to the outer. Second, I'm going to have to figure out what to use as stabilizers. The built in ones are now too short so I'll have to decide if I want to attach to the frame or just carry the tripod screw up type. Here's a comparison:
Before:
DSCF2346.jpg
After:
DSCF2403.jpg
Once those problems are sorted out, I'll be able to take it on the first trip.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Some get the bed lifts and put them under the old jacks, but anything is fine as long as its suported.