1983 Coleman Columbia

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by samh, Jan 25, 2015.

1. samh

samh Campin'

I suppose there will always be excuses, but fixing up the popup will at least get rid of one of those excuses!

2. samh

samh Campin'

Rainy Labor Day weekend. We got out last night but opted to come home and not stay tonight. We love camping but keeping our 20 month old warm, dry, and not bored all day in the rain would have been a bit too much of a chore. Gorgeous new spot that we checked out with beautiful mountain vistas all around (nicely shrouded in fog in these photos but still pretty).

[​IMG]

3. volkswagenguru

volkswagenguru New Member

samh.

love the thread. Our 1990 Columbia could use some of that electrical love. may need to steal some ideas.

jay

4. samh

samh Campin'

Thanks for the note, Jay. I've spent the entire summer building myself a garage in my backyard and as such haven't spent *any* time at all on the camper. Next summer though it's going to get a BUNCH more work. I know there were some issues with photos from this thread not showing up any longer but I still have all of them so please feel free to ping me with specific questions. The electrical stuff is what I most appreciate so am happy to help educate.

5. Criket

Criket New Member

Nice PUP. Great work. I just got a PUP very similar to yours except it’s a 1984 Newport. Other than the sticker and the half door (mine folds down for a step) it is exactly like yours.

I like your electrical system. Nice work

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  6. Rich & Teresa

Rich & Teresa New Member

Samh,

Love your posts about fixing your Columbia. We got a 83 Columbia this year and have made it functional again. We're having trouble with the half door. It won't close completely with the screen door in place. It should right? Any ideas? Appreciate your help.

7. mamba42

mamba42 Member

Cool stuff. Camper is awesome and those locations make me home sick! Grew up in Idaho and lived in SLC for 3 years before moving east. Hopefully we'll be moving back west in the next few years. Look forward to seeing the build progress this summer.

8. samh

samh Campin'

I honestly don't know if the half door is supposed to close while the screen door is in. I always leave it open (I installed a latch to keep it held open while the trailer is in camp mode). My guess is that it is not designed to close when the screen door is latched though.

9. samh

samh Campin'

Thanks for the note. I hope to get back into the build again this summer. I quit working on the trailer while I was building my garage and doing some house remodeling but those two projects should be done in early Spring.

Enjoy the camping whereever you might live. I like to think that each and every part of the US has some cool spots. The West is best in my opinion but there are many, many things the East has to offer that the West can't compare to.

10. mamba42

mamba42 Member

For sure. We enjoy getting out here a lot too and there are so many smaller state parks here there is no shortage of places to go to. It is also pretty nice for mellow kayaking and mountain biking out here. That being said, the wide open spaces and mountains out West are unmatched.

11. blundy

blundy New Member

Really appreciate the thread. I have an 89 Columbia that i just acquired with no canvas on it. Bear creek will be delivering on Friday of this week. I am very interested in your electrical upgrades as well. I am planning an "outdoor kitchen" with mine so should have plenty of room for the battery(s). Curious how the replacement of the damaged "wood" went (I assume its still on the to do list). With that, if the mounting of the solar panel has created leaking problems on the roof. Mine has similar damage to the leading and trailing pieces of wood inside. Great job on the documentation, very well written!!!

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I like these little pups. I think I need one for Solo trips cuz I dont need all the Stuff I drag around to keep the DW happy.

13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

@samh How is it holding up?

14. samh

samh Campin'

Thanks, blundy. I didn't do any work on the camper last summer (was building a garage and doing house projects instead) and I've not yet started back in on it yet this summer. As such a bunch of replacement work is still not yet started. I hope to be getting back into the camper as a project in the second half of this summer though. My roof vent has posed a leaking problem so I need to re-caulk that, but the solar module isn't giving me any headaches at all.

She's in a holding pattern stored under a tarp in my side yard right now. Last summer was mostly house projects and tent camping but I've got lots planned for it yet this summer!

15. v1ru5879

v1ru5879 Member

I just sat and read though the whole build this morning! Great job! I just got a NTU 98 Coleman Taos and I want to bring it up to date. We took it camping this weekend with some rain and no leaks! I did notice the trailer wiring is very brittle and sun beaten, New Mexico sun has a tenancy to do that to anything left out in the open. I need to find a diagram so I can run new wire. Do you have some pics of how your awning goes into the c channel? I am wanting to DIY something for my awning to keep from having to haul a EZ up canopy

16. samh

samh Campin'

Sorry for super slow reply. Hopefully this will be valuable to you. I have sewed my awning but I have not re-done the channel into which it slides and as such I don't have any photos of it. The stuff I bought to sew into the awning is this:

https://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Rope-Vinyl-3-8

And it slides into the channel that came installed on the camper when I bought it. I need to re-caulk that channel because it leaks but I've not yet done that.