1983 Coleman Fleetwood Chesapeake Pioneer run off a battery?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Hunter30g, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Hunter30g

Hunter30g New Member

I would like to think that I am not am idiot but with the Popup remold almost done, I of course run into a situation for which I cannot find an answer. Can my 1983 Coleman Fleetwood Chesapeake Pioneer run off a 12 volt deep cycle battery and if so how do I wire it? At the coupler there is the trailer harness plug but also a black, white and ground wire. I tried to connect the battery to the later and switch the converter to 12 volt but got nothing. I then tried connecting the battery to the hitch wiring harness and again nothing. Any guess if I have electrical problems or is only 120 volt power suppose to run the trailer? Finally any guesses on where I should start if it problems would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Hunter30g

Hunter30g New Member

Apologize in advance for the grammatical errors.

3. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Yes it will run off 12v and is very handy if you dont have electricity at the site. If you take the screws off the converter and let it flip forward, you can hopefully see where the wire is that runs up to the hitch and use a tester.

4. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Your PUP will run off 12v.

You could have two somewhat separate issues - the TV and the PUP.

Verify the TV is providing power to the TV's 7-pin connection. See the picture for which pin to check.

Assuming the 12v PUP system (lights, pump, furnace, etc.) works when on shore power, you can assume the 12v system is fine after it leaves the converter and the problem is the battery isn't getting power to the converter.

Is the battery charged? Do you have the battery wires connected to the correct terminals? The 12v+ wire (black?) should have a fuse or automatic reset on it near the battery and should be connected to the + terminal on the battery.

With the battery connected and the converter switch set to 12v, verify there is 12v power coming into the converter from the battery (assuming the battery is charged). If not, check that the battery's 12v- wire (white?) is properly connected to the frame of the trailer or other grounding source (such as the converter's 12v-).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  5. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

It should be wired to just have a battery harness installed.
    http://www.campersolutions.com/store/coleman-harness-4716-4701

The black and white should be going to the converter and I am wondering if the ground you are talking about is the Blue wire?

The trailer wiring of your year should not power the converter, so a 7 pin will not run it. It looks like it was not until 1997 when you could use the trailer harness for power.
    http://www.campersolutions.com/impo...Trailer End Wiring Harness.jpg?attredirects=0
    [​IMG]