1983 Lionel - Canvas help!

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by saranm, Sep 14, 2013.

1. saranm

saranm New Member

Well, I just picked up a little pop-up from Craigslist yesterday. It's a 1983 Lionel. It's in pretty rough shape, but for $250, I figured I'd give it a try! The canvas is really the only thing I'm worried about. It's pretty old and torn in a bunch of places. I looked into getting a whole new canvas, but it would be $925, which is WAAAAY out of my price range. What's the next best thing?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

goop? use search at top of page [8D]

3. saranm

saranm New Member

Thanks! I didn't even notice the 'search' option :)

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Many members have repaired their canvas using different techniques, some use goop, others buy sunbrella fabric (sometimes you can find scraps at an auto upholster or marine canvas store for next to nothing) and sew it on as patches, I have seen someone who used iron patches to repair rips as well... We had a good sized tear on our pup and I used industrial velcro to hold a patch on place for 3 season's before we traded it for the TT..

5. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

We had an old Lionel that had damaged canvas. I took it to a place that made custom tops for boats to get a quote for replacement. The guy had a look at it and told me most of the canvas was in good shape and the areas that were ripped just needed to be patched. In the end it cost a couple of hundred dollars to have it repaired.

6. leines

leines Internet Project Whore

Take a look at my build thread bon air ba700 on this page... i just did a 1983 bon air with insane amounts of holes, and tears... I went to a boat dealer whom is a client of mine, and asked if i could have some scraps of sunbrella... they gave me a few pieces for free.. but even to buy the amount of material would only have been $20-30 at the most.... i then used denim needles, thick thread meant for canvas, and GOOP brand household adhesive... Id cut patches bigger then the area because normally it ripped for a reason... then id goop them so they would stay in place... then sew them as much as possible to add strength.. some i had to do outside and inside...

the other idea would be to drop it off at the boat dealer and get a quote to do something similar.. may only be a couple hundred for repair if they want to do it..

Cheers

7. woodsman1st

woodsman1st An outdoorsman of 78 years no exp w/ pop up trlrs

This seems to be an older post; but on the off chance you still havn't done anything to your canvas, I am just now completeing extensive repairs and patches to my 71 Skamper.
    All across the bottom on both sides where the canvas attaches to the hard body of the trailer was pretty well rotten on my Pup. Plust I had several tears and holes ranging from a 1/4 inch up to 8" or so.
    I removed the entire bottom, and patched on new canvas complete with new snaps; and have patched all the holes except one that I need someone on the inside to hold the canvas as I push in with the new patch.

I tried 4 different adhesives including Goop and finally settled on Barq's Cement I purchased through Amazon where I found the best prices.
    The reason I chose Barq's Cement, a glue normally used for replacing soles on shoes was due to all of the positive comments on using Barq's on everything from shoes to canvas. The best thing about Barq's is when applying it, it has a much longer "Flash time"; the length of time after putting it on the canvas until it begins to "glaze over" and the two pieces do not stick together. A very important quality if working alone.
    Since patching my canvas the rains started only 2 days after putting on my largest patch; a ten foot long piece across the bottom on each side; 20 feet total, and I went up 7 inches to be sure I was on good canvas. The rains lasted for 3 days for a total of 3 1/2 inches of rain; accompanied with 30 to 35 mile per hour winds. My new patches came through with flying colors and the inside was dry as a bone. I then installed all new snaps to attach the canvas to the aluminum body. Other than the one hole remaining, i did all of it myself; an important reason to have the long "Flash Time".
    The only drawback was a little stiffness to the patched canvas;but no worse than the other three glues i tried..
    The instructions that I could find said to make the patches 2 inches wider than the hole; I made my patches an average of 4" to 7" in order to be sure I was patching onto good solid canvas and be sure the patches would not tear or pull loose in strong winds; it turns out that in my opinion, using the extra material was a wise choice.
    Ken

8. Hanne

Hanne New Member

Thanks for the tip on the Barge Cement, Woodsman. We are developing a tear in the bunk end vinyl where it rubs against the metal trim on the slide out corner. I tried to use Tenacious Tape to hold it together, but it quickly failed. I will try Barge and a vinyl patch.