1983 Viking "gasser" resto

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by money pit, Oct 8, 2014.

1. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

We just picked up this project that we call "the money pit" (with affection) plans are to resto/custom from the bottom up. Just to name a few mods....new paint scheme outside, new cabinets, led lighting, new floor covering (vinyl tiles), new canvas, new white paneling (walls), updated power converter (12 volt to 110), 60 amp up-grade for shoreline power......
    [​IMG]

2. money pit

[​IMG]

All packed up with no place to go but into the garage for the long Wisconsin winter resto!

3. money pit

[​IMG]

This is about the best part of the inside....the galley.....the rest has to go...the paneling is coming apart, cushions are all ripped up.....

4. money pit

We will post more photos in the coming weeks once we start knocking things down..............

5. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

That camper brings back memories of my 1983 SG Viking. Bought new in 1983 and served me well until 2000. A lot of great camping memories. Good luck with the redo and have fun. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

6. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Congrats! I think I saw one like this on CL not too long ago and was curious about it.

If you need any specialty parts like latches or lift parts or what not, let me know. There is a Viking little gasser that has sat on my parents land for 15+ years rotting away beyond repair. My dad bought it brand new in the early 80's, we used it all the time, super light campers. The lifts on these were so simple, no cables or gears to break.

Look forward to the restore!

7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think that you may be a little confused on the power part. Most campsites don't have 60 amp power. Also 12v to 110 converters wont power anything for very long off of a battery. If your popup doesn't have AC you would not even need a 50 amp service. I only use 15 amp service at the campsites.

8. PhillyTitan

PhillyTitan New Member

30 Amp service is the norm at the campsites I visit. Do you have a working converter in the pup?? If you do, then I don't see the wisdom of changing everything to 110V AC power. 12 Volt systems are great for lights, charging cellphones, boondocking, and use way less power.

9. money pit

davidkkk - thanks for the info and ill keep it in mind.......

as for changing power over yes i understand....i plan on having the pup able to operate in normal "camp grounds" with the 110v power....i would like to upgrade the 110v box because im going to add a small home ac unit to the back wall of the pup .....i do have a converter in it to drop volts down to 12...unknown at this time if it is still operational....I also plan on installing a 1000 watt invert 12 to 110v for off the grid camping....will have marine battery or two for that...wired to charge off the haul vec. just for cell charging or the like.....

10. PhillyTitan

PhillyTitan New Member

I have a travel trailer that has a separate 110v breaker box for the shore power and a separate converter that plugs into one of the outlets off the breaker box. It sounds like you may have a similar setup. It's not at all common in pop ups.

11. money pit

well thanks to some GREAT posts and photos on the forum, the wife and i have started making some plans on the new (to us) PUP. Once i get it into the garage this next week or so. we were at our local home improvement store and she picked out the new floor tile, which was a great deal at .31 cents a square foot! Also she picked out our new hardboard "paneling" were installing which is in a white/blue/gray marble.....some other changes will be removing the "ice box" and in its place a enclosed porta potty......and were going to cut the "booth seating" down to a single person on each side with a smaller table top, we are going to turn the whole thing sideways...trying to get more square footage in open space.......We will do our best to get photos up of the knock down and rebuild....hoping to do everything this winter so its ready for the spring!!!

[​IMG][/URL]

12. money pit

new tile for the counter top and table top (on the left) on the right is the flooring tile to compare.....
    [​IMG]

13. money pit

new wall board (paneling) for the cupboards/walls/inside roof......hard to tell the colors but its white/blue/gray marble effect
    [​IMG]

14. money pit

well we finally were able to drag the "money pit" home last night.....and as I went to bed I felt like a kid at christmas with "visions of PUPs and restos dancing in my head" so I was up before dawn and I got started on removing the very bad canvas and started knocking down all the things I needed to........

[​IMG]

15. money pit

the lady who owned this pup took it to a "music festival" and it got very muddy inside so in her grand wisdom she took a power washer to the inside of the pup and then packed it back up soaking wet....this is what happens when you put 100 gallons of water in a camper.......

[​IMG]

16. money pit

as you can see we have removed the canvas and started taking apart everything on the inside........

[​IMG]

17. money pit

Always nice to have some info from Viking lol

[​IMG]

18. money pit

we have taken out the "ice chest" to make room for a port-a-potty or more storage.......

[​IMG]

19. money pit

I will post more photos as the knock down goes on.....I know you all have seen this before and its old news. The fun stuff of the rebuild is a ways off but it will come soon enough......

20. money pit

well we have not been able to do much with the "money pit" the last few weeks.. We are in the process of moving into our new house but we should be able to get started on it sometime after the first of December. Can't wait to start knocking things out in the new heated garage!!! :)

For now here is a "to scale" floor plan that we have came up with....changes include:
    1. moving the booth seating from the back of the pup to the front and knocking it down to a 2 person booth
    2. moving the galley from the front of the pup on drivers side to just inside the door on pass side
    3. one long bench (window seat) on drivers side including an enclosure for a portapotty which will continue the bench seating....and some additional storage through out the pup.......

[​IMG]

any other suggestions or ideas feel free to post!