1985 Coleman Royale-crank mech shafts free spin-diagnosis

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by tntimeshare, Sep 17, 2012.

1. tntimeshare

tntimeshare New Member

Newbee to pop ups. Bought an '85 Coleman Royale Friday, PO said lift chain broke. Gave it a quick look over and price was right so I towed it home. Had a few minutes Friday evening to look at it and found chain missing, so that explained why upper shaft free spins. Tried lifting roof up by myself just enough to get a piece of 2x4 under each corner. Downloaded manuals off PUP site Saturday and read up on workings of lift system. Sunday I crawled under the camper to find all the cables where in good shape, yea! But I did find what I hope is a simple fix. The coupling from the whiffle tree to main crank extension is missing. I also don't have a crank handle. I'm going to TSC to see if I can find a part to fix this along with some roll pins. Will post my findings. Any suggestions appreciated! tntimeshare

2. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

First off.....
    HiYa and Welcome from NC.
    Chain is very similar to bicycle chain, so that might help you.
    The crank handle you can get off Ebay..unless you are handy and can make one.
    Good luck with your repairs and pictures please.

3. tntimeshare

tntimeshare New Member

Went to tsc on way to work and picked up a few things. Got 10 ' of #35 chain,full and half links, a bushing to make a coupling out of, and some roll pins. Got out of there for$30. Got to look around my junk for something to make a handle out of and save that money.

4. tntimeshare

tntimeshare New Member

Got to work on the camper Saturday. Marked and drilled 2 holes in the bushing to use as coupling. Bought 1/8" pins and holes in shaft are 3/16 ". Small roll pins too weak so enlarged holes in coup. and used broken drill bit as temp pin. with duct tape retainer. Devised a crank handle from a spare 5/8" deepwell socket with a slot cut in it to slide on shaft and hold cross pin. Rotated the shaft with a 1/ drive. long handle ratchet 1/4 turn at a time until I raised the roof all the way up. The wiffle tree and cables look great and I sprayed pb blaster on the moving parts underneath and down into the lift posts. The large bed platform is totally disconnected from the slides and the tent is fair on that end. The small bed was hanging by one track and the tent is rough and the tent seems alot longer than bed. I'll try to get some pictures hosted so you can see this jewel!

5. tntimeshare

tntimeshare New Member

6. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

Mine looks your does or rather it did.

7. Hanne

Hanne New Member

Congratulations on your PUP!
    We have the same model and year. It looks like you have original intact upholstery on the 2 pieces of bunk end that fit into the slideout on the double bed side. I'd love to see a closer picture of those pieces, as ours are missing all the upholstery, and it would help me to reconstruct them. I've yet to see another Coleman model that had a 3-piece slideout bunk like that, which allowed them to put a queen-sized bed in front (the other models with that box size only had double beds front & back).
    You can click on the camera icon under my user name to look at our photo albums. Most are "before" reference pics, and pics of our roof rebuild. I have many I did not upload, and more to upload of our interior remodel and mods. We have finished all the big projects, and are just messing with the small cosmetic stuff before our first big trip next week.

8. tntimeshare

tntimeshare New Member

Added more pics to my photobucket album and started a new thread under the restoration heading.