1985 Coleman Royale

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by tntimeshare, Sep 29, 2012.

1. tntimeshare

tntimeshare New Member

2. tntimeshare

tntimeshare New Member

Bought this 1985 Coleman Royale a couple of weeks ago. Did some 'engineering' and got it popped up. The lift system is in overall good condition and looks as though it may have been replaced at some time, or just not worn out. I've got a chain to put on it, but appears that a ratchet or safety mechanism is missing. I see 4 holes that appear to have had something attached or riveted in them. The bed slides are my next big issue to tackle. Just learned from another user here that the bed on the tail end has cushions that are bed extenders, and that explains why the tent seemed longer than the bed. Also haven't figured out how to attach the 'front' door. When I can close up this PU and open it again, I'll feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's going to need a tent at some point, but right now working on the mechanical workings. There's evidence of mice but not severe like in the case of Rats, but I'm wanting to inspect any wiring before I plug it in. Check out the pics I have so far. Enjoy the view where I have it parked at my barn overlooking the recently picked corn field. At dusk the deer come out to feed and found hoof marks around the tongue.

3. Team cmk

Team cmk Member

Nice find tntimeshare. After a little elbow grease you will have a nice pup. Good luck with the projects and happy camping.

4. bullitt_60

bullitt_60 New Member

Cool! Congrats on your purchase and I look forward to progress photos.

5. tntimeshare

tntimeshare New Member

With the threat of storms today, I visited my PU this morning to see what I could do to help it survive the coming weather. The beds are just sitting on the edge of the box with the prop poles holding them up. Had considered lowering the top, but decided to push the queen bed in a foot or so and cover what I could with a large tarp. Been raining awhile this morning, and when I stepped up inside I was amazed that there wasn't really any leaks except where the tent is torn on the double bed end tent. Got the tarp secured, after getting it over the a/c, and left it for the day. Checked by in on the PU after work and the front end tent had collapsed allowing a little water to get on the bed platform, and the tarp had blown off half way. Got that all re situated and decided to try to attach the walk thru door. Got it latched in, but latches need tweaked or some shim material put in to make the latches tighten up, then inserted the tent/seal into the door track. Starting to look like a camper. A little duck tape and I'm ready to camp!

6. Team cmk

Team cmk Member

Duct tape is my friend. Have it covering a few holes on pup too.

7. Evansgr

Evansgr New Member

Nice find, Similar to ours. Cangrats

8. Hanne

Hanne New Member

You've got a nice view from camp driveway!
    It's been sometimes frustrating but mostly fun rehabbing our Royale. It's a nice feeling to know every inch of her, and know she's in better shape than ever. When DH & I would get stalled due to other obligations, we'd say just do one more small thing & don't think about the whole to-do list. One day at a time will git'r done!