1985 Palomino MXL Lift Arm Repair

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by sehuff903, Sep 19, 2010.

1. sehuff903

sehuff903 1985 Palomino MXL

I posted back in June about the lift arm breaking when we raised the roof on our Memorial day weekend trip.
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=37280.msg246166#msg246166

I received the repair package, PA-HECOHEZ1, from Canvas Replacements yesterday and decided to share the repair.

[​IMG]
    The broken arm, right rear of camper.
    [​IMG]
    The Canvas Replacements repair package, part# PA-HECOHEZ1. This package has the alloy hinge already crimped in the aluminum arm. A one inch galvanized steel tube is crimped in the other end of the arm.
    [​IMG]
    I removed the upper portion of the arm and laid it next to the repair arm, then marked the spot to cut the broken arm.
    [​IMG]
    The repair arm then slips into the original lift arm. The instructions inform you to drill a hole and use a screw to secure the parts together. For now I will rely on the fit of the parts to keep the assembly together, I do not believe it will have any appreciable give to cause problems. When I acquire another good drill I will decide if the screw is really necessary, the Black & Decker I have had for twenty years burned out last month.
    [​IMG]
    Not having a good drill I had to use a pair of pliers to bend the flange of the old rivet in, it went better than I thought it would. I then placed a 1x2 against the pup and a socket large enough to pass the head of the old rivet (note: next time I will also place a rag between the 1x2 and the pup, I have to do a little touch up paint to that spot now). Then used a phillips screwdriver to punch out the old rivet.
    [​IMG]
    I decided to go ahead and place the locking tube and grommet on this arm even though from what I have seen these pups did not come with them. Any thoughts? I then used the 1x2 and a wrench to place against the head of the new rivet and used a chisel to brad out the hollow end of the rivet.
    [​IMG]
    And finished off giving it about five good whacks with a ball-peen hammer.
    [​IMG]
    Total repair took about 45 minutes.
    Now to save the money for the four new springs.

2. mchineboy

mchineboy New Member

Very nice job. I always love the fixes where I have to actually think. [8D]

3. dolphinsrage

dolphinsrage New Member

hey i know this is a long shot it being that you posted this a long time ago but would you be able to send me the pictures of what you did here? I'm trying to figure out a way to fix our camper. thank you for your help.

4. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

OP hasn't visited since 2010.. odds are not good for your request.