1985 Starcraft Starlight 21 Restoration... More like RESURRECTION.

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Fe4life, May 25, 2010.

1. Fe4life

Fe4life New Member

So my head first leap into the PUP world is going to be quite the adventure. I rescued this guy from a craigslist ad for $175. I convinced myself that it was a good deal, no matter what condition the PUP was in. I'm not too sure about that now, but when I'm done with it it will be almost 100% custom so I can justify the extra work. Plus, I like working with my hands. I have been wanting a camper of some sort for quite some while, so here I am. As I began to dig into my new project I quickly realized that I just leaped into a complete restoration/ resurrection. I am up for the challenge. I will chronicle my difficulties and successes on this forum for your advice and encouragement.

As of yet, I have gotten all of the interior out, except for the walls and floor. The roof is off, but not demo-ed. Everything that is not metal is rotten and must go.

This weekend I will tackle the roof, as I try to figure out how to handle the body. I am having trouble deciding how to remove and replace all the sides and floors. Best guess is that it will all have to happen at once. So I want to have the roof ready first to protect the insides once I get to that step.

This is a massive project, and I have not wrapped my head around it completely. So any insight on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to all of my demo pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/46442464@N03/sets/72157623994321489/

Here are some teasers of what I have gotten my self into.
    [​IMG]
    The day I found her.
    [​IMG]
    Can you say water damage!?
    [​IMG]
    Gutted!

Thanks for reading,
    Steve

2. newbiecamper

newbiecamper New Member

I have been looking for a project like that. I would rather pick up a wreck, with a intact frame and box, and gut it a try my hand at a restoration, to see how it will go. Instead of tearing down the 1006, rather not until i have an idea of what i am doing.

3. bgullatt

bgullatt New Member

Been there!

4. ballard

ballard New Member

I think that looks great! It is screaming potential. Now it can be whatever you want it to be.

5. scooper

scooper New Member

Wow, you have your work cut out for you. I don't have the knowledge, time, garage space or tools to undertake a job like this, but there are some people on this forum who have done amazing things with virtually complete rebuilds. This is my favorite forum on the site, and I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Good luck.

6. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

I wish I could do something like this with my old Starcraft, it's probably not much better off than yours is. Good luck, and keep us posted!

7. RotHappens

RotHappens New Member

You go, Fe4!

Great project. Enjoy!

8. Fe4life

Fe4life New Member

So, over the weekend I demoed the PUP down to the bare frame. The floor was made of thin galvanized metal on the bottom, a .25" layer of paneling, .75" eps foam, .25" osb, linoleum on top. No wonder it felt like a sponge. After seeing how cheaply these things are made when new, It has put a new spin on my resto project. The one thing I have know I will have to buy is going to be the new tent. Since that cost $800ish, I am going to do the rest for as little $$$ as possible. I have a shop full of scrap, and am very resourceful at fixing what can be fixed. So that is the way it will be done from here on out. This has now become the budget rebuild.

Down to the frame
    [​IMG]

Floor is out. Hubs removed for new bearings. Propane lines removed. Ready for wire brush, grinder, rust converter, and paint. Then to rebuild the floors. Electrical and LP.

More to come soon.

Thanks,
    ST

hayyward likes this.
  9. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

LOL , that could be the ugliest PUP i've ever seen . [LOL] Can't wait to see it done though . Good luck [MOD]

10. RotHappens

RotHappens New Member

Wow. You get the No Fear award. We spent about $2000 rebuilding Phoenix. Try to beat that!

[:D] (Just giving you something to shoot for; you've got my support!)

11. fire4effect97

fire4effect97 Russ & Shawna, DD1, DD2, DD3

Good luck I can't wait to see th efinished pup. I wish I had the time space and patients for something like that.

12. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Now that's a project! I hope you continue to post pictures of the progress.

I don't know if I would be up to such a challenge as I don't have the ambition that I use to. Perhaps when I retire in 2030 my wife will want me to get a project like this to keep me out of the house [LOL]

13. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I'm rooting for you! I thought our rebuild was going to be a big one - well, it is, but not THAT big!

14. zjrog

zjrog Member

Wow... Takes guts to gut one out and start from scratch!!!

15. Fe4life

Fe4life New Member

Thanks for the positive words folks. Tomorrow is weekend number 3. Over the week I pulled the covers off the cushions and gave them a wash. They smell great now and held together quite well for 25 years old. The foam still feels really strong so I'm going to try to steam clean it over the weekend. Hopefully the cushions can be saved, because I really don't want to make or buy new ones. This is now the BUDGET BUILD, remember? Other plans will include ordering a swage tool, and new trailer bearings. I will also try to prep the frame for paint and get ready to install the floor.

More pics to come soon.

Steve

16. emssmiley2002

emssmiley2002 Florence,Ms

Man I lake the "Frame Off " Resto! :)

17. zee

zee Member

WOW!! I wish u the best!! I may have to follow your lead depending on how bad mine is. [:(]

18. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Wow... just wow. You have my utmost admiration. What a job you're tackling.
    I took on one much easier, as I now see. lol
    I wish you the best. The people on this forum have about done it all, if you're looking for hints or ideas this is the place!
    Keep us posted please. We all gleen ideas from others successes.

19. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

Go luck on the restore, looking forward to seeing your photo's

20. magicfish

magicfish New Member

I notice that your signature says Starcraft Starmaster 21, but the topic is titled Starcraft Starlite 21. I gather the Starmaster is correct. I only mention this because I have an '85 Starlight 21SD and while looking at your pictures, I kept thinking, "That layout doesn't look like mine."