Here I shall post Belle's life story with me Currently: + Awaiting lift kit in mail to rebuild system + Roof exploratory surgery and repair/rebuild Upcoming: + Flooring + Cabinet painting + Painting stove with car engine paint for high heat + Painting Dometic fridge because vaneer is SO 80's Future: + $1200 order to Bear Creek for canvas + Kenda tires + Surge brake overhaul as needed + Inspect, grease wheel bearings + General axle/wheel hub assembly check for safety The history! Belle was owned by my wonderful aunt and uncle for 11 years. She is in excellent interior condition, but the outside shows she is 33 years young with peeling decals, some water damage and brittle plastic bits. The body is solid as a rock and that's why I'm restoring. They offered her *free* to me since they wanted to move to a hard side for convenience and comfort. They're no spring chickens and my uncle has some health problems so popup is not in the scope anymore, sadly. So I picked her up. I went out to go camping one day and all was good. Zoomed in the highway and backed pretty good for the first time at a site, to find no reservations open! So on the way home, very disappointed, disaster struck - the roof went ZOOP at 65mph on the highway! No one was injured, no damage to vehicles behind me or my Explorer, but the lift rails are FUBAR. The canvas that was already slated for replacement for ripped from the J rail - but was largely intact! Bunk end seams tore but the canvas was actually resilient! If the one spot wasn't rotted from water damage, I'd have repaired that canvas. I got her roof flipped back on and got her home with so much anxiety and panic I about passed out and was literally trembling like a Chihuahua. Once I calmed down I decided this was NOT going to prevent me from doing this restoration project - it just made me wiser to bad latches, wood rot and the wonders of ratchet straps. So right now I'm spending labor day weekend in the garages, disassembling a roof and assessing my damages. I already know the wood along the outside is all bad, as the corners I don't think were ever resealed. I believe the roof center is intact but I won't know til I get in there with a 5 in 1 and some determination (and cut sleeves and cut resistant gloves!). The lift system is first, since a rebuilt roof does no good if it won't raise up. I'm thinking I can tackle it in three days time. I have several tutorial guides and have watched a few videos and it doesn't seem too difficult. I think when I can see it in person, the guides will make more sense. Just reading them was really confusing The roof is the next step. I'm going to replace all the butyl and hardware, and I am adding more latches. I will also be locking two of them while in travel with padlocks, if not all four corners. They popped off once and it will NOT happen again. One additional on each side and two on the front. I'll also be replacing the rubber seal that I think was there probably until the millennium turned Once the roof is solid I can winterize and save up for canvas. Might be Merry Christmas to me to get it, but the fact I will never have to do this @#$& again for this camper has me motivated.