1986 Roof Rebuild, is this frame supposed to be in there???

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by LavaWeb, Jul 19, 2019.

1. LavaWeb

LavaWeb Member

Hey all, first time posting here, so I’m sorry if this sounds a little naive. We recently purchased an ‘86 Coleman Sequoia and are starting to go through and reno/update/clean up as much as we can.

The first project is the roof. When we purchased it the front right corner had separated and you could see there was a good bit of rot and water damage. So after going through YouTube University on this, we started ripping out the white decorative paneling that was the ceiling which revealed a metal frame underneath. This frame was attached to the front and back using the smallest of screws that had all but fell out. Seriously the only thing that was truly holding this to the roof of the trailer was the bead of glue that was attached to the veneer that itself was falling off too.

Here’s my question, in all my searching I’ve never seen a metal frame in the roof of the Coleman’s, was this common? It’s not on the parts diagram... should I plan to put it back? Everything I’ve read shows making a wood frame and attaching it to the aluminum, is this another (maybe better) option? I am thinking of adding an AC later, will I need this to support the roof?

Thank you all so much for your help. I’m attaching pictures to show you what I’m talking about.

IMAGE #1 is of the frame still attached (barely to the roof)
    IMG_1521.jpeg

IMAGE #2 is of the frame down to show what was above it.
    IMG_1521.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Those are metal studs. Someone rebuilt that roof before.

myride likes this.
  3. LavaWeb

LavaWeb Member

Yea that’s what I figured. So i’ Wondering should I work it back in for the rebuild or frame the new roof like I’ve seen on YouTube with wood. I’m wondering if by putting that frame back in would it be better to support things like an AC or maybe storage/bike racks on the roof?

Thank you for the help!

4. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I don't think that frame is very strong. Those metal studs are meant to be stood up and even then are not as sturdy as wood.