1986 Starcraft SLE 17

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Kwfixer, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Kwfixer

Kwfixer New Member

I am looking for info about replacing the floor in my camper and wondering if anyone else has taken on this project. I have found a few weak spots and figured I could replace the floor after removing all top components. Is this even possible?

2. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Dude! 80's StarCraft owners unite!!! I looked at reflooring with a pergo float floor, but you can't pull the floor or resheet unless you pull all the cabinets - so unless you planned to do that... The walls are tied to the floor... If you look at what is left when ice fishing dudes rehab PuPs into ice houses, there isn't much left after destroying. If you just want to bridge a small soft spot, I'd float a pergo type floor over it and bridge it, leaving the cabinets in place - don't use plastic sheet between, use that thin foam or nothing. It would bring some rigidity back, but curing why the floor is soft would be job #1.

3. Kwfixer

Kwfixer New Member

This pop up has been in my family since new and maintenance was a secondary thought. I am looking to do a rehab on it with new floor and wiring throughout. So it will possibly be a next year project. I am thinking disassemble, remove cabinets, then tear up floor and replace with marine grade plywood and coat with fiberglass and roll on rhino lining. But we shall see what happens.

4. Kwfixer

Kwfixer New Member

there are soft spots at all 4 corners.

5. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Are you good at wood working? Perhaps adding oak plank under the corners as a bridge for a few years time? Unless you pull the cabinets, you can't gain access. You could repaint and do different flooring, retro sheik? Your cables are in those same corners, so working underneath to support the corners might not be a bad idea.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If you take your time to do the demo you can save the cabinets & sides. Its not an easy task but it is do able. Take lots of pictures for reference later & the Before & after tread you can post for our entertainment. You could go underneath and add some cross bracing to buy some time.