1987 coleman. I want to know about adding a water heater

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by slickgib, Aug 5, 2010.

1. slickgib

slickgib 87 coleman larmie

how hard is it to add a water heater. and where can i find one used or new. i have a 87 coleman larmine im going to add a 12 pump for on demand water and sometimes camping in the winter the water is freezing cold and my girl doesnt like washing her hands when its freexing cold.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Actually, most people who camp in sub-freezing temperatures don't use their PUP water system while doing it. The water lines run under the trailer outside, exposed to the ambient air and could freeze overnight. On some PUP models the fresh water storage tank is exposed under the floor too. Winter campers often keep a water container and dishpan inside the trailer for washing. They leave their water system winterized, i.e., the pump and lines full of RV antifreeze.

3. Red Rebels

Red Rebels New Member

I think "freezing cold" in California is probably a little different than where you are. [2C]
    I was in San Diego in May and it was "freezing cold" out by the pool compared to where we live in TN. Now if I had left TN in Feb. to go to SD I would probably think it was hot. [:)C]

4. recumbentman

recumbentman Ventura, Ca

The cost and the work to install one would not really be worth it [:!]
    If I was you, I would consider getting something like this On-Demand system, just my [2C]

Good Luck

5. insanehognutt

insanehognutt New Member

i have several thoughts for hot water other than installing a 6 gal water heater that would give more bang for the buck but I have a few questions first.
    will you have access to electricity where you camp? will you have propane? will the outside temps ever be below freezing? do you just have a faucet that you want hot water for or do you also have a shower that you will be using? are there areas near the camper with full sunlight most of the day?
    obviously some of the answers will vary from time to time but there are a lot of different options for heating water...some solar, some require lp, and some require electricity some install inside and some outside and that is why i was asking those questions