1987 StarCraft Comet Suspension System

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by Lowrange2, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Lowrange2

Lowrange2 New Member

Fellas! You guys have an individual forum for EVERYTHING!

I have a question.

I bought a 1987 Starcraft Comet 8ft PUP yesterday.

It will be recieving some TLC in the near future.

On of the main things I'd like to address is a few more inches of ground clearance. I plan to use this PUP off the map and I'll need a smidge more ground clearance to get there. This camper won't see anything more than fire roads and the occasional pothole.

Now, when I purchased the PUP I thought it had a typical leaf spring suspension on it but it seems to have a torsion set-up. Is this suspension adjustable?

I checked the User Manual section of the site and I'm not seeing a manual for it. Is there one available online?

Thanks guys! Any info on this thing would be appreciated!

Andy

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[:D] Welcome from Connecticut, happy camping, enjoy. [CP] IIRC they are not adjustable, if you wanted to raise the body height maybe a square tube spacer e could be added between the axle and the frame.

3. Lowrange2

Lowrange2 New Member

It actually has a bracket welded all the way around the axle tube. It would have to be cut off and lowered. A new bracket would have to be fabricated.

I'm up in the air about cutting it all out and adding a really soft leaf spring with straight axle and some nice shocks.

I'd like to able to run a 5 lug wheel and a bit larger tire. I won't be able to do that if I leave stock suspension under it.

4. Lowrange2

Lowrange2 New Member

So, is there anyone else that has one of these? Does a manual exist?

5. Hanabata

Hanabata New Member

Hey Lowrange2,

Have you had any luck on information about this? I have a 1988 starcraft Starflyer with the same suspension system, and I was pondering lifting my pup.

I was dissapointed when i found out it was not going to be an easy axle flip...

If I find out anything, I'll let you know, although lifting my pup is a bit lower on the priority list for me.

Good Luck!

6. jckele

jckele Member

Hi, my 1988 had a torsion suspension that let go. The axle was bolted to the frame on each side of the trailer with two 1/2" bolts and nyloc nuts. I'm sure yours would be the same or similar. The conversion to a leaf spring suspension was fairly easy. I had two u shaped channels made that fit around the frame ( from the ground looking up). I used the original torsion mount bracket to locate the 1/2" bolt locations in the new brackets. I welded the leaf mounts to the u shaped channels so that they aligned with the wheel wells. 1/2" pipe spacers were added in the frame so that the new channel would not collapse the frame on installation and tightening of the mounting bolts. Slide the unit under, lift and bolt. Fit like a glove. It has been 2 years and I'm still running the same tires so it must be tracking really close.

Any fab shop can bend the channels although it does require a back bend to complete because the width is small. The fab shop could also weld the leaf mounts if you do not have access to a machine. For a lift you could have box tube welded to the bottom of the channel, 2 x 2 or 2 x 3. And of course you can pick & choose an axle to suit the tire style you want. If you can't find the right width axle the fab shop will be more than happy to cut & weld it to the correct width, or just by hubs and have them fit a new axle tube.

Lots of options.
    In Canada, Princess Auto had all the suspension parts I needed.

good luck

7. Lowrange2

Lowrange2 New Member

Hmm, I forgot about this thread. I've since replaced this Pup with a 1987 Starcraft Astrolite.

I've learned a good bit about the suspension system. A simple block lift works great!

I have this thread set to notify but, apparently, I didn't get a notification. Where do these notifs go? My email?

8. ccarley

ccarley Member

For anyone else interested in info on lifting the torsion axle...

My 1986 Starlite has the same setup. I ended up picking up some 1/4" by 8" flatbar, 20" long (2). It was under $60 at my local steel shop. We drilled & welded the steel to the axle (won't come off now, oh well), and added some 1" by 1/4" flat stringers on the inside for stability. We then bolted the whole assembly to the frame. Voila, a nice amount of lift pretty cheap (just materials and time).

I'll get the photos of the process soon; I did grab some (and broke my phone while doing so...)

Clay

9. ccarley

ccarley Member

Here's some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clay

10. Lathrop Bob

Lathrop Bob New Member

I had a 1988 Starcraft constellation. The first time I took it down a fire road in the Sierras I ripped the shower drain U trap off. I always took it easy on dirt roads after that. A few inches more clearance would have been great.