1988 Coleman step light amperage?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Jereme, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Jereme

Jereme New Member

Hey everyone......new to the forums.

I have a question....recently just picked up a 1988 Coleman pop up from my wife's aunt and uncle. It is in amazing shape, and they just replaced the canvas last year with brand new Bear Creek Canvas. Unfortunately, i cant remember the model of camper and i dont have the paperwork in front of me currently.

BUT...i have gotten the itch to do a few mods, which include adding a porch light and also replacing the VERY dim (for obvious reasons) step light. Ill tell you im having one HARD time trying to track down the light bulb wattage that is used in that step light (as im replacing everything with LED lighting and am trying to ensure that i can pull power from the step light to the porch light without over taxing the circuit with amp draw).

If anyone could tell me the amperage or the type/# of that dim step bulb....I would be grateful....

Thanks again, Jereme

2. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Don't have a solid answer for you, but I replaced my step light with an amber LED marker light I picked up at AutoZone for under $7. Ours is a '95 Utah and the lens for the step light was long-gone and the fixture was in rough shape. The bulb was intact and functional but the condition of the housing made it practically inoperable. The bulb was something along the lines of a #89 bulb, used for courtesy and license plate lights. I'd be surprised if it draws more than 0.5A.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If you're going with led's there will be very little amp draw so really don't have to worry about it. ..

4. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

I plan on just replacing the housing as well at some point, but curious what you end up doing.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

In out TT I just replaced all the bulbs with led's, straight swap.. I haven't yet got around to changing any of the exterior bulbs yet..

6. JT2

JT2 Member

The owner's manual for my 88 Coleman shows the step light bulb as No. 1895. This is (was) a very common auto bulb in its day and should still be available at low cost from NAPA and similar parts stores. The bulb is listed @ 3.8 watts which computes to about 0.3 amp or so.
    First step to cure dim lighting is to disassemble and clean everything -- lens, bulb, socket, reflector etc. A bit of effort can yield surprising results.
    / JT

7. Jereme

Jereme New Member

AWESOME info JT......thank you SO much!

8. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

9. kdouglas

kdouglas New Member

I agree, replace the existing incondecent light with an LED porch light. Search on Amazon for an LED RV poach light and you will find choices.