1989 Palomino Mustang-CR Rebuild

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by geoffm3, Aug 26, 2021.

1. geoffm3

geoffm3 Member

We also replaced all of the rotten wood framing pieces before reskinning. I didn't take pics of that.

2. geoffm3

geoffm3 Member

I am also going to have to take the top rails back off (grr) because I forgot one critical component: the metal strapping at the corners. The beds are partially supported by the top boards/metal channel on the front and back walls. If you think about it, when the beds are out, there's quite a bit of pulling force on the top of this board, and without the metal straps, the only thing holding the top board to the side walls are four wood screws. So, the factory installs a 1" wide metal strap to the top framing member of the side wall and wraps this over the front edge. This is stapled in place.

3. geoffm3

geoffm3 Member

Thanks so much. We are anxious to get it all done. :)

4. Micah B

Micah B New Member

That looks great!! I have a 1986 Mustang, same configuration we are working on. Our first trip out this summer the queen bed pulled away from the frame, and dropped my wife and I on the pavement outside the camper! So...after rebuilding the king bed side, I'm now rebuilding the queen side.
    When we purchased the camper it had been gutted, and only had the queen side intact. Do you happen to have any pictures of the bed rail stops on yours? I'm about 90% sure I'm missing all the stops on mine.

Thanks in advance!

5. geoffm3

geoffm3 Member

sure… this isn’t the best picture and maybe yours is different, but the bed stop mounts to the end of the bed board and is an aluminum extrusion with a lip that stops against the end walls of the camper. This is why I said I think the metal strapping from the side wall to the end wall is necessary, because otherwise you only have about four wood screws keeping you from falling on the ground!
    https://flic.kr/p/2mr8Jgd

https://flic.kr/p/2mr3yZm

Micah B likes this.
  6. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

That's a great job. Can't wait to see the finished camper.

7. Micah B

Micah B New Member

That makes perfect sense, thanks!

8. geoffm3

geoffm3 Member

Some new pics... we are putting some teal striping on the side walls, and we have started installing the cabinetry after a check of the box and top appeared to work. Here's hoping that stays the same after rebuilding the top, but we are cramped for space and need to get the box put back together to free up some space.

[​IMG]Untitled by Geoff Oltmans, on Flickr

9. geoffm3

geoffm3 Member

Not much has happened on the camper the past week and a half or so... we were on our fall trip, but we're about to start back at it again. Still need to work on the frontmost dinette booth seat and the corner cabinet. We intend to use the existing tabletop as a countertop for the corner cabinet so that it matches the other countertops and replace the dinette table. We got some nice panels from a local thrift store from a book case for $6 that should make for a nice tabletop. The idea there is to replace the dinette table post with folding legs to make the table freestanding, and to put a nice contrasting piece of wood in the middle of the dinette tabletop running lengthwise. The roof is mostly prepped to rebuild now. Hopefully we'll be done before our next camp at the end of the month and we can make that our maiden voyage.

10. geoffm3

geoffm3 Member

Some progress… my wife made up a new set of bottom cushions for the dinette using innerspring baby mattresses for some additional support, and upholstered them. I am mostly done rebuilding the dinette booths.

https://flic.kr/p/2mzTA6K

11. geoffm3

geoffm3 Member

On thing that is a bit of a 'lolwut' moment: the dinette table no longer fits! This is not a big deal in our case because we are replacing the dinette with another table we're making. The reason for this is because the stock paneling in the camper is 1/8" thick. The new "paneling" is, ahem 5mm thick. The original framing was all used as much as possible. The stackup of cabinetry and end walls front to back is about 8 panels thich (so each end wall has a panel each - 2 , plus the kitchen cabinet - 2, the pantry cabinet- 1, the dinette booth to the kitchen - 2, and the dinette booth to the front wall - 1), so you end up "losing" a little over half an inch for the gap for the table (0.57" to be "exact"). I could have compensated for this with the dinette booth framing, but nevermind. Moving on!

12. geoffm3

geoffm3 Member

Lots of progress this weekend that I unfortunately don't have pictures for just yet. I'd take pics now, but there's a bunch of stuff piled on top of the camper currently. lol Maybe later this evening. The good news is that as things are getting put back into the camper box, the garage is getting a lot less cluttered. But to summarize what's happened:

• We installed the rest of the pinstriping around the exterior.
    • Edge banding applied to the dinette end caps
    • hole cut for converter in dinette
    • holes cut in sidewall for electrical and gravity water feed
    • one drawer built (mostly). Ran out of material for the second.
    • cabinet doors cut to size and veneer rough cut for laminating
    • lots of staining for drawer doors and cabinet doors
    • Rest of the kitchen cabinet countertops installed and kitchen backsplash/foot board cut and tile installed (needs edge banding still)
    • Finished building framing and cutting cabinet paneling for the corner porta potty cabinet.
    We are coming close to being finished with the interior construction... lots of little things of course remain inside.