1990-2000 Starcraft liftsystem Shelby 5438

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by SpacepiG, Jul 31, 2018.

1. SpacepiG

SpacepiG New Member

This will be a post that will keep updating, so i apologize as it may seem confusing or incomplete :) but hopefully it can help someone with the same issues i had.

The Starcraft Shelby 5438 lift system have one very weak point. It is an aluminum gear that is reverse threaded onto a hardened shaft. (bad combo)
    When you lift the roof the gear tightens against a frictionpad on your locking gear (so the roof won't fall down on you) and when you want to lower the roof it untightens and thus let the locking gear freespin and let the roof down.

Mine started having popping noises when lowering it and dropping 4-5 inches each time you heard a pop. It turned out (after i took it apart a million times and tested all kind of things) that the threads were gone on the gear.

Shelby stopped manufacturing this winch 10-15 years ago and there is no spare parts so what to do?

I cut out the middle of my gear, filled it (welded), drilled a hole and rethreaded it. As my gear was not very flat anymore i cut out more than needed and grinded it flat.
    If you do not have the tools/craftmanship to do this you should easily find a machine shop that can do it for $40-$50.
    The threads are 5/8-11 left hand (i bought a tap for $5 on amazon as most shops do not have left handed)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SpacepiG

SpacepiG New Member

Success! With the new gear my roof is lifting smooth as butter.
    Here is a pic or two of final assembly.
    The crank turns 3 small gears on crankshaft, they turn the big threaded gear that get pressed against the frictionsurface on brake gear, brake gear also get pressed against large spacer on other side. When compressed driveshaft turns and the 4 gears on the end of it engage the spool that hold the 4 wires that ultimately is connected to your roof.
    When you rotate counter clockwise the threaded gear loosens and the brake gear is now no longer connected to driveshaft and allows you to lower it. Smart design but poor location and material choices.

The left item is the crank shaft
    The middle shaft hold the gears
    The wire spool w gear would sit on the shaft to the right
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FARfetched likes this.
  3. greg Huff

greg Huff New Member

What did you use to replace the friction washer when you reassembled. Mine appears the threads are still in tact but the lock great still free spins like it isn't being clamped tight enough. My top goes up and down smoothly but the handle free spins if you let it go

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

Anyone know if spraying the paul gear profusely with silicone lubricant will cause the 'brake' between the the paul gear and bigger main gear to not operate properly?

5. davekro

davekro Active Member

6. greg Huff

greg Huff New Member

I had to completely lower mine down. and then turn it a couple more times in the downwards direction. spray thoroughly with brake parts cleaner. Then crank it up all the way to the stops. It then started catching and working for the rest of the summer. I orderd new friction Waters so I have them but haven't had to install them yet