1990 Coleman Sequoia Roof Repair

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Harrison_Creek, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Harrison_Creek

Harrison_Creek New Member

I need to replace the rear roof panel due to a leak on the roadside corner and a leak where the top center seam meets the rear panel. When I pulled off the abs cap I noticed that other than some black caulking in each corner there is nothing where the metal trim meets the aluminum roof and no caulk in the channel where the edge of the abs fits into the metal trim. What advice do you have when I put this back? Should I put some double sided eterna tape on the aluminum roof edge and stick the trim to it? What about sealing the channel that the abs panel fits in. Also, where can I get a new gasket for the roof?

Attached Files:

2. mdigby

mdigby New Member

We went through this awhile back with my 1992 Coleman. Here's the link to our project

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=49794.msg380333#msg380333

For the plastic roof corners, we put a wide piece of eternabond roof tape underneath them. We then used stainless steel screws to attach the plastic caps. Be sure the roof is clean and that you plan how you are folding the corner. With eternabond you only get one chance to position it. Once it's stuck, you aren't gonna move it.

I think your other question is about the extruded aluminum at the base of the lid. We caulked this with a thin strip of lap sealant between the aluminum sheet on the outside of the roof and the extruded rail, after the roof was reassembled.

For the roof gasket, i don't know. Some people have had success on eBay, others have tried "canvas replacements." I'm sure someone else will make a suggestion

I hope it helps you some...

3. Harrison_Creek

Thanks for the tips and all of the photos of your project. Coleman definitely made a big change in your model year. Mine rear (and front) has a plywood inner roof panel with a molded plastic piece that covers the exterior of the rear. It fits into a metal channel on the top an sides. It is the plywood that I am replacing. I will paint the side that will be exposed inside as you did using white paint. The biggest job for me will be cutting the plywood. The top edge is curved and has a 15-20 degree bevel. I am going to try using a jigsaw set at the required angle and see if I can cut it.

I will post some pictures as I progress.

4. Harrison_Creek

Thought I would post an update on my repairs. I cut a new board and painted the inside and polyurethaned the out side. I routed the bottom outside edge to accept eternabond double stick plus the trim piece that holds the gasket and abs cap. I used the double stick to seal the top trim which holds the abs cap. I did some repairs to the aluminum along the top rear edge as it had oxidized to powder in two places and had some pin holes. I used marine tex then primed and painted. I am going to seal the edge of the trim that the abs fits into with some type of sealant just to make sure no water reaches the board. I am also going to use a strip of eternabond roof tape to run underneath the roof rack arms before I install them. This repair should last for many years.

Attached Files: